Best Trilogy

MindCrime

"The Godfather"

You know, I really like the 3rd installment. It took a few viewings but it grew on me.

Gosh, I love the first Matrix. The 2nd and 3rd took a lot of focus OUT of Neo, especially the 3rd.

The Indiana Jones' were entertaining (I preferred the 2nd and 3rd one) but I'm not a great fan of Speilberg's overly, lavishly, and profligate type of production. Have no idea what I mean?? Take 'South Park' and change the overal appearance to 'Disney' cartoons. See??

::

Ant

The Indiana Jones' were entertaining (I preferred the 2nd and 3rd one) but I'm not a great fan of Speilberg's overly, lavishly, and profligate type of production.

The only thing that makes Indiana Jones a trilogy, is the fact it had 3 movies of the same title/main character. The didn't flow in with each other, and the production was better than the actual storyline itself.

I guess Star Wars could be counted as 2 different trilogy's (soon to be) but the beginning parts (latest releases) have been very faulty & didn't receive much critical acclaim as they did blockbuster sales.

I noticed a lot of similarities between both films, seeing as how they're focused on a panicky driver who's trying to avoid some lunatic. Joy Ride was a rip off, but at the same time still a good movie, that guy on the communicator (I forget what he called himself, I think it was something like Black Sheep) creeped me out. The movie was nowhere near the classic status that Duel is/was. It was one of Spielberg's first & best films.

I noticed a lot of similarities between both films, seeing as how they're focused on a panicky driver who's trying to avoid some lunatic. Joy Ride was a rip off, but at the same time still a good movie, that guy on the communicator (I forget what he called himself, I think it was something like Black Sheep) creeped me out. The movie was nowhere near the classic status that Duel is/was. It was one of Spielberg's first & best films.

I meant to say that I also like the film as well. Yeah, that guy's handle was "Rusty Nails," and you bet it's creepy.

I have the dvd of "Joy Ride" with lots of extra features including a whole new 20+ min ending!! Also as an extra, you hear a couple more actors trying out for the part of Rusty's voice. One of them was Eric Roberts. I forget at the moment who the other was.

As for 'Duel', always a classic. I saw it as a kid and it was on not that long ago. Dennis Weaver played that part to perfection. :thumbsup:

The Lord of the Rings was my favorite trilogy long before it was made into movies and I actually enjoyed the movies more than the three times I have read the three books. This was ahead of Ludlum's Bourne Identity, Supremacy, and Ultimatum books, and even better than LeCarre's "Quest for Karla" trilogy, another set of books I have read more than once. Not all of these have been made into movies however.

In the late 60?s, John Lennon wanted to star in a Lord of the Rings movie with his wife, but wasn?t able to obtain the rights to the movie. If you?ve ever seen the movie Help!; It?s somewhat of a lampoon of LotR, with the 4 of them (and a pestering ring) evading the evil morals that try to murder it?s possessor.

"Joy Ride" IMO, is a rip of "Duel."

I disagree. That's like saying Star Wars is a rip-off of Star Trek or that Train Kept a Rollin' is a rip-off of Folsom Prison Blues.

I liked Duel but Joy Ride, IMO, was much better. There's not a patent on reality. I've seen many a crazed truck driver and they weren't rip-offs of a movie.

I mean come on, when you first saw Duel did the concept surprise you? Being stalked is probably the oldest plot in suspense.

There's lots of rip-off movies but Joy Ride contained too many elements that the simple Duel did not have to be considered a rip-off IMO. Similar yes but a rip-off is going overboard.

If one were to get technical, every movie is a rip-off of the one that came before it depending on the genre.

Alien has my vote for the best trilogy even though it's a *rip-off of the original Thing. :P

*a joke for people that can't fathom sarcasm.

JURASSIC PARK

The third one was a little weak, suffered from not being directed by the master Spielberg (*side note- on it's own it would be concidered much better, but preceeded by JP and Lost World it has more to stand up to).

Mike

I voted for Star Wars..the original one. Probably because out of all the ones listed, it was the first one I saw and had an impact on me. The new ones don't have that "magic" for me.

I could barely sit through the 2nd Matrix, so I was soured for the 3rd. I know, people say "what about the car chase, what about the 100 smiths?", but neither of those scenes compensated for the rest of the boooring movie

• 4 weeks later...

For 'Best Trilogy' I would have to say The Godfather for sure. Each is a brilliant, engrossing, innovative film, timeless and excellent in every way.

The Indiana Jones and the Star Wars trilogies are both fun and amusing to watch but lack the depth and complexity that characterizes The Godfather series, IMO.

All three trilogies do however turn out wonderful, skillfully used scores. I particularly love the beautiful, haunting music heard throughout The Godfather films.

:headphones: