102-year-old refuses five-a-day

Blue Fish

Mary's friend Maggie wished for a Chippendale for her birthday

A woman who has lived through two world wars, 21 prime ministers and who has just celebrated her 102nd birthday puts her longevity down to "eating no veg".

Mary Doherty, who lives at Urmston Cottage care home in Greater Manchester, said the only vegetables she eats are potatoes, peas and onions.

Mary used to work in her family's bakery and loves good home cooking.

Her friend Maggie Redmond, also a resident at the Cottage, will be celebrating her 102nd birthday in June.

When asked what she would like as a suitable present, Maggie replied," a Chippendale".

:crazy: Doesn't sound to good for us veggies on the long life scale.... :P

This headline throws me - ' five-a-day ' ?: I wasn't sure if you were talking about packs of cigarettes , shots of whiskey , or pension money , etc. ... and I'm still not sure where that fits in here . :stars: She does eat potatoes , peas and onions , so she doesn't deny herself vegetables , right ?

I see - but who declared that , and why ? Is this a well -known slogan/ quote like " We shall never surrender ! " ? I did come to that conclusion , but thought the old girl was making an effort - she's no vegetarian , granted - but what she prefers seem not to be an unhealthy mix .

Eating and one's diet has become the biggest load of unsupported bull in the last 20+ years or so . Everyone is gambling with what they take in , and vegetarians haven't 'upped ' their odds in any signifigant or noticeably measureable way . Roll them bones and eat what you will - the clock runs out regardless - unless of course , you are a total as* , and eat obviously an unhealthy diet .

Exactly . Vegetarians should be rolled back and removed as a voice in terms of popular culture or having any say in terms of restaurant menus / airplane fare / how others should eat , what have you . Stay home and boil cauliflower , or move to India where you will be happily accomodated - but most importantly , shut your yaps when around 'normal' people . :)

I , fo one , am sick of ' veg-nazis ' who ruin any trip to a restaurant with their ridiculous and embarrassing questions or requests at restaurants . If you stand by this - stay home , or don't accompany others who don't share your culinary beliefs to a restaurant . Stay home or go where your ideas are welcome . You can't have it all .

I like meat, too, and don't know if I could give it up for more than a day. I do try to do the five a day thing, but it's difficult. To me, salad is not a meal, it's a side dish.

I think longevity has more to do with genetics than anything else. Still, it's good to eat right and stay relatively fit because a long life is nothing without good health.