calling all sane musicians(edited version)

johnlongstreth

well, due to high demand and the challenges of other posters, i am back! but dont worry sara i will not be acting as extreme as i was in my first posts. the words moron and retard will not be used. well i see someone wanted a good musical debate and here i am to debate. i think i know my guitar so... "gimme your best shot" lol. :beatnik:

well i see someone wanted a good musical debate and here i am to debate. i think i know my guitar so... "gimme your best shot" lol. :beatnik:

Picking up from last night...

Nothing personal, but I fail to see how Paul Griffith (sp?) from Mr Big/Racer X is a more talented guitarist than Clapton/Hendrix. I've heard various songs done by them & it doesn't amaze me. He can't even compare to the likenesses of Vai/Satriani/Yngwie, let alone the revolutionary guitarists. I don't think that displaying both electric & acoustic (as a lot of alternative bands did) makes you "s**ty" as you had quoted last night. Of course this is all based in my opinion, and not a fact, so if this makes me "insane" to your thread, then I will leave as I see I'm not welcome.

well mindcrime, i see paul gilbert as a guitar master. not a songwriting master. who cares what lyrics he can compose? but if its acoustic guitar you want download "the jig" by paul gilbert and you will hear masterful acoustic guitar. the way i look at it, hendrix and clapton might have made some catchy songs but i doubt seriously they have made stuff that stands against, say, yngwie malmsteen, as far as guitar is concerned. i mean they might write the most insightful or personnaly gratifying lyrics any human brain has concieved, but im talkin about guitar here. and if its good songwriting you want listen to opeth.

the way i look at it, hendrix and clapton might have made some catchy songs

Catchy songs?

that makes me angry.

So angry I'll use a frowning emoticon ::

perhaps even 3 more to show my anger :: :: ::

Now that I got those emoticons out of my system, I think they are much more than catchy songs. They are very good.

Well, I just listened to Scarified. All that guy could really do was play the guitar fast. And anyone can play the guitar fast. To me, its really the songwriting (that doesn't mean writing lyrics, that means writing the song, like what the song sounds like) that matters to me. Its not the kind of song I would want to listen to, its just boring.

I think people get wrapped up in guitar players when its bands that make music. If you just pay attention to the guitar you will be going the way of the 80's hair bands. I don't think its how fast or perfect you play that makes you a great guitar player. I feel like it more about emotion and if its right for that song. My favorite solo that I'am into right now is Neil Young's Words(between the lines of age) because I think it is so raw and fits that song just right. Thats my thing might not be yours but I dont like guitar players that play perfect. If I want perfection I will break out some Mozart.

well i dont think paul gilbert is the best songwriter in my opinion. but batman, "all he is doing is playing really fast" uh... sorry its just a little more complicated than that. your right he is playing really fast but did you hear the solo in the song, or perhaps the bass breakouts? or perhaps the drum beat do you hear drummers like that everyday. and i think that paul gilbert is a guitar hero. in his band they joke around there not really trying to make the catchyest songs for the radio. now if you want good songwriters listen to opeth or in flames or children of bodom. and im sorry but not everyone can play the stuff that paul gilbert can. if you can play the song scarified on guitar after 2 months of practice ill give you an amount of money unfathomable. and as far as mozart and beethoven go, did you guys happen to notice the classical overtone of the song scarified? and if you didnt download the song gilberto concierto by him and listen to his classical guitarwork, and if its pentatonic [bleep] you guys want download red house by him. ill tell you guys a good all acoustic cd, damnation by opeth. :thumbsup:

Thats life. Tom Petty would be twenty times more influential if he wouldn't have been accepted into the mainstream or just more bands would say that they were influenced by him. I always think about that with Big Star. I love them have all the records they SHOULD be played on the radio, people would eat it up. Alot of bands say they are influenced by them. Now say they had been mainstream would they have the same appeal.

:rockon:Alex Chilton Rocks

Playing a billion notes al la Malmsteen, Vai, et al, might be cool to some but to me it sounds like an angry mosquito. I'd rather hear a chord that cracks your ribs. Stacked up against, say, Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water", it doesn't sound as good. Don't start flaming if you are a VaiMalmsteenRhoadesWhoever fan. I don't mean any disrespect. If you like it, that's great. But for me, 3 chord blues-based rock and roll is always going to have that nasty gritty sound I've always identified with 'rock'. Malmsteen and Vai, (I can comment on Gilbert, I've never heard the music) seem like they want to play a squillion quarter-notes in one measure. In doing that, they lose me. Maybe I am just slow....

Ken.

In Heaven, can you give me an idea on what you categorize as Mainstream? (Do you determine it in Radio Airplay, Record Sales, Concert Venues, etc) Tom Petty, yes I agree is mainstream, but still very significant, even as a focal point for his obvious influence Bob Dylan. Modern day folk singers, such as Petty, Costello, and even current singers like Dave Matthews & John Mayer aren't as widespread as they used to be. Anymore it seems that if the mainstream is comprised of such artists, is hard obtained & rare.

Hey, I love Tom Petty too. I have all the records and all that. I'am saying people that are all about the "underground" would love Petty if he wasn't all over the classic rock station. Instead they won't even consider him in the same vein is Dylan. I love Elvis Costello and everybody I know loves him too and he doesn't get enough airtime. Dave Matthews and John Mayer aren't wide spread? Step outside I see hundreds of cars with their stickers on them(usually high school girls or frat boys). They are constantly played on the radio and MTV and they aren't widespread? Do you want world wide domination? They are also not as good as Bob Dylan, Tom Petty or Elvis Costello. I dont even think they deserve to be in the same catagory.

I didn't say (or mean in words) that I like them, just pinpointing a few examples of current day folkish rock, it's all gone downhill over the past 10 years or so. The entire idea behind the genre has maintained itself, but isn't always the idea behind "Mainstream"

guys and gals!!

No offense, i dunno, but we seem to have this same stupid conversation all the time, and everyone has the same arguments. Plus everyone starts their posts as "In my opinion" but isn't that all it is... opinion? Aren't questions like "who is the best gutarist/lyrisist/drummer ect?" opinion and can't be proven? Im sorry it is fun to argue but nothing to get WORKED UP over!

Mara

:guitar: :rockon: :: :help: :thumbsdown:

• 2 months later...

Actually, I can help!

I sent a private message to somebody, I think it was Beatle Ant about what was posted before then, I need to check my sent items box.

Private Message sent to Beatlant: 07/07/04 (I hope you don't mind me posting this in public,Ant.

Last night, this user named JohnLongStenth (sp?) posted a thread entitled "Calling all sane musicians" where he basically bad-mouthed anybody with the tastes of Clapton/Hendrix etc... & told us that his favorite band (which was a Mr Big clone) were much more talented. We posted our thoughts on the subject & it was a pretty good debate thread, but this morning it appears to be deleted.

This was his original post in the opener of the thread