Students killed at Virginia Tech!

I found a series of interesting articles about the discussion of gun control in America in the Online version of the news magazine "Spiegel":

at fist a summary of the European Press:

Blaming Charlton Heston

[smaller]With a view to Monday's deadly shooting rampage at Virginia Tech, European newspapers are blaming the lack of gun control measures in the United States and implying that Charlton Heston is indirectly responsible for the scope of the killings.[/smaller]

this caused quite a reaction:

Europe, Please Stop Moralizing

[smaller]After SPIEGEL published a summary of European press reactions to the tragic shootings at Virginia Tech, our in-boxes were flooded with hundreds of letters from Americans who were angered by editorials critical of America's lax gun policies. Conservative blogs also stormed the barricades. Here's a compilation of some of the mails.[/smaller]

and THIS in turn caused a reaction all by itself:

"America Has Lost Touch with Reality"

[smaller]The debate about gun control in the United States that began in Europe immediately after Monday's shootings at Virginia Tech angered many of our American readers. We published their letters, and now we're posting some of the responses we've received here in Germany.[/smaller]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have pretty strict gun laws in Australia, this is because a similar thing happened down here in 1996 - a loony named Martin Bryant went on a killing spree in Port Arthur, Tasmania (a popular tourist destination, we visited there the year before the shootings), murdering 35 people. He was armed with two semi-automatic rifles.

The government has now banned semi-automatic rifles and implemented a gun buy back scheme.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hard time understanding how some kid can walk on campus with a gun. Up here in Canada our military has a hard time obtaining guns. The laws here are pretty strict, although I still feel they aren't strict enough. Awful for kids to lose their lives because of poor gun control.