Students killed at Virginia Tech!

I don't know....more guns could have saved some people, but it also could have caused even more to be taken down in crossfire.

I don't agree with total gun banning, I just think people should take a class before they can own a gun where they learn to clean it, load it, shoot it, etc., so if the time ever comes, they are comfortable with using a weapon

Not anything to do with this thread, but I have a neighbor who is an air force reservist, is trained on handling several weapons, and hates guns......

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should try bullet control rather then gun control. (okay, I nicked it off a comediean!)

Seriously, I hate guns but think about it, the guns were in the wrong hands. guns can save if the right people have the right guns at the right time in the right place with the right safty gear and the right ammo. In the wrong hands they ruin lives and cut them off in their prime.

As I thought .. the shooter has now been media elevated, while the victims virtually ignored.

Admittedly, I only recieve (USA) national news via Yahoo international news collection services, but since the idiotic carnage at VT, I have seen 12 stories on the shooter and not one highlighting the lives of those killed. I realize that local newspapers in Virginia and surrounding communities will list and detail the victims, but on a global level, only the madman seems to be of importance. We in Brazil know his name, his background, theories of his intent. Since he had the foresight (copycat-ism?) to produce a video, he will be immortalized on YouTube for the entire internet community.

Overturning the second amendment will not stop this kind of carnage. Heck, the bomber of the Mora Building in Oklahoma City (Quick! Do you recall THAT guy's name?) used fertilizer and a rental truck! Do we ban those too? The media should take it upon itself to never mention the name of a smalltime terrorist(s) in a story beyond initial identification. And be banned, by law, from publishing profiles of the wasted lives of these ghouls. Instead, offering the public biographies of each of the victims, highlighting the best their lives have offered to others. Until we get those priorities straight ... creative, twisted genius will find ways to circumvent any law or well-intentioned ban, in order to purpetuate their names through history. For some, this is the sole motivation for their evil plots.

But then ... what do I know about what the public wants to read, view or hear? I am not a big time news editor; but neither were the dead students at Virginia Tech.

Well said, Ron. I find it sickening that NBC chose to air ravings of this lunatic. In my opinion, it not only glorifies him and horrifies families of the victims, but also encourages other unstable persons to commit similar acts.

I stopped watching news when pregnant with my first child. The images and propaganda are far to negative for me to poison my system with it. My father used to watch CNN and Fox News all day long at work. I can't fathom intentionally bombarding myself with that kind of negativity.

Hear hear. That was well put S2V. thats really sad and somewhat twisted. Does this world really need to soak up the teorys and details of madmen? Or do we need to remember and pray for (maybe) the victims and familys who need support and help through a very diffecult and trumatic time?

Amen, S2V and Elvish. I also don't watch news too much anymore. Sometimes it may seem like I'm sticking my head in the sand, but most times I feel all the better for it. I do care about the world around me and I want to be informed, but not to that degree.

I curtailed my news watching for a while after 9/11 when even reputable news media were speculating on Al-Qaida having nukes, etc. I didn't need to fill my mind with such crap. If they did have nukes, they would have used them and those blow hards wouldn't be around to "speculate".

Now, I just have limited TV viewing time, so if I'm going to fill my mind with crap, I'll fill it with fun crap like "Dancing with the Stars"

Edited by Guest
fixing stuff

Overturning the second amendment will not stop this kind of carnage. Heck, the bomber of the Mora Building in Oklahoma City (Quick! Do you recall THAT guy's name?) used fertilizer and a rental truck! Do we ban those too? The media should take it upon itself to never mention the name of a smalltime terrorist(s) in a story beyond initial identification. And be banned, by law, from publishing profiles of the wasted lives of these ghouls. Instead, offering the public biographies of each of the victims, highlighting the best their lives have offered to others. Until we get those priorities straight ... creative, twisted genius will find ways to circumvent any law or well-intentioned ban, in order to purpetuate their names through history. For some, this is the sole motivation for their evil plots.

Don't think so. there are more gun killings than killings with fertilizer trucks. guns make it easier. They desensitise people. Buy gun, point, pull trigger.