The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #59

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on you b-f and RonJon ! Great to see you nominate, Ron. :)

Now if I was framing a market on this Ten (bookmaker talk) I'd have one of these songs a short priced favorite. I also had it on my Lista for #60, but I'll be happy if it makes it this time. We would like a few more nominations though !

;)

Before you vote don't forget to have a listen to this one! It's the story of "a good man lead astray by a hot-looking dish, the babe turns out to be (OOH! THE IRONY!) a private eye hired by his wife. Betrayal, sex, AND you can bop to it." ;)

Recorded in 1964. Back up group: The Shouts, UK. Writer listed as Sheri Ann, but Sheri Ann was Gene's daughter, born in 1963. Gene actually wrote the tune.

Is I Heard It Through the Grapewine the best song ever? It's the only song that has been number one twice. Both the Marvin Gaye and the CCR versions made it to the top.

Can it happen again? Maybe if someone nominates You Really Got Me by Van Halen or Paint It Black by Eric Burdon and the Animals.

Maybe if someone nominates You Really Got Me by Van Halen or Paint It Black by Eric Burdon and the Animals.

"Paint it Black" by Eric Burdon & the Animals is a great version. Some of Burdon´s covers are -for me- even better than the originals. "Ring of Fire", for instance. "Hey Gip". "To love somebody" is excelent.

Can it happen again? Maybe if someone nominates You Really Got Me by Van Halen or Paint It Black by Eric Burdon and the Animals.

Or maybe Rolling Stones' version of Johnny B Goode?

Hmmm...did you record that song?? Or was it the sequel, Bye, Bye Johnny? Edna??

Edited by Guest

Is I Heard It Through the Grapewine the best song ever? It's the only song that has been number one twice. Both the Marvin Gaye and the CCR versions made it to the top.

UK girl-punx The Slits also did a splendid reggae interpretation of "Grapevine", in their unique style. I'd nominate it for a SF Top Ten, if I thought it stood an ice-cream in Hades chance of being voted for by anyone other than yours truly.

Fallin' - Alicia Keys

Jenny and I keep nominating this song...I'm determined to get it in a top ten. It was the powerful debut of one of modern music's most talented young ladies. Here is what the almighty Wikipedia has to say about the song.

Be Without You - Mary J. Blige

I know that modern R&B isn't terribly popular around here, but I love this song and I want you to love it, too. Mary can sing her socks off...you can feel the emotion coming from deep inside of her. And here is what Wikipedia has to say about the song. (Wikipedia has a page for everything, doesn't it?)

As always, I need someone to YouTube me. Thank you in advance. :grin: