American Bandstand

Sweet Jane 61

This was one show I tried not to miss out on every Saturday. I wanted to be a dancer on the show all the time. They were cool looking people and I wanted to be one of them, dancing around, and maybe even getting to rate a record.

Of course so many great artists were on the show. What was one show or shows that you loved seeing an artist on?

I loved it when Prince was on! That was cool! And as usual Dick Clark was the top notch host even with quirky Prince.

Yes, it aired daily at 3:30 on the ABC affiliate, WFIL at 45th & Market Sts. It was originally hosted by a fellow named Bob Horn. Horn got involved with a couple of the young ladies on the show and left in disgrace to be replaced by a young, unknown Dick Clark. Bandstand went national and eventually moved to LA as American Bandstand.

The kids on the origiginal show drew quite a following. The fan mail they received was overwhelming. Many of the record companies actually tested their songs before these kids, especially the "new dance" songs.

Long before there was The Twist there was The Bunny Hop.

All the stars appeared on the show to lip-synch their songs. Dick Clark became God in the industry and the rest, as they say, is history.