Do You Remember? - "Come Saturday Morning"

beatleant

"Come Saturday Morning" by The Sandpipers.

I've always loved this tune. Brief info about the group...

They were originally called "The Four Seasons" but found out another band was using it so they renamed themselves, "The Grads." A friend of the group introduced them to Herb Alpert (trumpet player fame) who ran his own label (A&M) and so impressed, he signed them to a record deal. They released singles under "The Grads" then later changed their name to "The Sandpipers."

There first big hit was "Guantanamera." Although they had a few minor hits here and there, their next big hit was "Come Saturday Morning" for the film, "The Sterile Cuckoo."

Interesting fact - the band had a female member but was never credited on albums and usually shrouded in performances. She supplied vocals but wordless. As someone else explains, "Her vocals never acted as harmonies to the group's singing; they functioned in a supporting role, much like the strings that comprised the band's instrumental backing.

Come Saturday morning,

I'm going away with my friend.

We'll Saturday spend to the end of the day

just I and my friend!

We'll travel for miles in our Saturday smiles,

and then we'll move on...

but we will remember,

long after Saturday's gone.

Come Saturday morning,

I'm going away with my friend.

We'll Saturday laugh more than half of the day

just I and my friend,

dressed up in our rings,

and our Saturday things,

and then we'll move on,

but we will remember,

long after Saturday's gone...

Sound Clip

Ant

Okay, I guess everyone must live in a cave ::

I'm still an AM radio lover. We have a few great stations up here in Ontario and one of them is 1050 CHUM (Toronto). You want diversity (50's to 70's), they play it. They also play the normal hits of back in the day.

As for this tune, it was nominated for an academy award (the song was featured in "The Sterile Cuckoo" which starred Liza M.).

It's a really pretty tune; nice harmonics; acoustic instruments; lyrics are thoughtful too.

:guitar: