sex in school

Batman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial thoughts:

Both. A large number of parents, don't, won't, can't, or have been misinformed about sex themselves.

As I said previously. Since parents have these problems and hang ups, and school generally goes with the mechanics, it ends up being friends and/or older siblings that provide the real world education. As long as it's balanced with the mechanics, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

It should be taught in school as part of the biology course. What I'm against is when there is an agenda tied to teaching about sexual intercourse. I definitely wouldn't approve of a sex-ed course that tries to "teach" about homosexuality for one. That's more of a topic that could be better discussed with a doctor, a counselor, and/or parents privately.

It depends on what exactly you're talking about... I don't see much point in trying to understand chemical reactions just to get good grades when your real interests lie elsewhere. Of course you should have a basic grasp of different subjects; languages, science, music etc.

Wow. As a former student of chemistry, I find this statement grossly misguided.

Chemistry = ideas about life and existence.

But, then, if your real interests lie in going through the motions of life in a zombie-like state, then by all means, forget chemistry and science and physics and biology and geology, etc.

I said of course you should have a basic grasp of different subjects, science included. This has nothing to do with going through life in a zombie-like state. One thing I can remember having to learn is oxidative decarboxylation (nice word, that's why I remember it) --I still have no clue what this is, but I don't think I'm missing out on anything either.

When I had to take Sex Ed (as part of "health") in school, the school sent permission slips home for your parents to sign giving the school consent. I don't know if they still do that, but in my opinion, ignorance is worse than knowledge. So a 13 or 14 year old is exposed to condoms and having responsibility instead of being preached abstinence....like Kevin said, if you're gonna do it, you're gonna do it, but at least you know the consequences versus just being told to wait until marriage or worse, told nothing.

BTW, my mother signed the slip, because she made sure we already knew the basics.

Funny thing....one girl who had gotten pregnant and left school for a year was in my sex ed class!

Edited by Guest