sex in school

Batman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial thoughts:

Both. A large number of parents, don't, won't, can't, or have been misinformed about sex themselves. Parents need to instill their thoughts and values into their children however. Children need to get as much information from as many informed and well educated sources as possible, and make their decisions accordingly.

I'll consider this further.

This is a good topic, Batman... where have you been?

I was taught sex ed in class along with all my other classmates, and it's the one place I learned the technical stuff. Without that, I would have just learned from friends, since my parents were mute on the subject.

Not waiting for the school to provide that same service for my son, I enlisted in my brother-in-law to do it. And he did a good job... I know my son got the street and the technical from that source. But I would certainly not object if the school were to offer a course, as well.

If all the kids learn from the same source, they all learn the same things, rather than, "Your dad doesn't know what he's talking about - here's what my dad told me" kind of thing.

But ultimately I agree it begins with the parents. I'm a very liberal parent in that respect, and have never shied away from my son's questions about stuff.

I agree with Shawna, I think it should be taught in schools, but most schools teach it in 5th grade. But if I was a parent I think I'd teach my child about it earlier to avoid embarassment for the kid. I mean, who wants the inevitable "Ewww!" reaction to happen when surrounded by classmates?

On a slightly related note, I've got a friend who's goal is to have sex in school before he graduates.

On a slightly related note, I've got a friend who's goal is to have sex in school before he graduates.

That´s very easy. He only has to take the girl to some empty class or room, lock the door, and go ahead... :laughing: They might discover him if someone tries to open the door, cannot do it, calls the janitor who has all the keys, then the director, all the students and teachers will gather around the door... :cool: and your friend and girl will have to escape through the rear window... or jumping from a second floor, like some friends of mine did when we were in school... :laughing: but he might be lucky too... ;)

Slut ! :laughing: :laughing:

I think there's no point in teaching sex- ed in school ( in my time , back in the time of Alexander the Great , they called it ' health ') . First of all , no self-respecting teen pays any attention to what is being said by a teacher ( unless it's on the next test ) , and secondly , sex is , and should properly remain , the 'mystery ' that all teens want , but depending on their characters , will pursue responsibly or otherwise . Schools /parents ( especially ) are fooling themselves .

^ I agree. We didn't have any special sex education classes, only in the 'normal' biology ones, but I too think it's important to teach children about the risks and possible responsibility of their actions...

did you know that more and more kids don't practise safer sex because they think AIDS is either exterminated or completly curable? :P

No arguement - but doesn't it seem weird or just certainly having less impact when it comes from a teacher . I don't know how it is now at school , but I would think it ' a joke ' .

Granted , Farin , that an awareness of diseases or the like are usefull information and should be put out there - but , c'mon - those who want to screw in high school are going to do so , despite warnings - and even in spite of - in some cases . It's like telling people to wear seat-belts : we should , but omit to do so when the mood strikes us .

Sure, that's true....but at the same time I'm glad that my parents never sat me down and talked to me about it. And I highly doubt that the majority of teenagers actually does some research before they have sex for the first time. It's all about what you learn from other people, mostly your age -- or what teachers tell you. And they're certainly more reliable sources.

What we 'learned' in health was just that - the biological functions of men and women in a purely scientific manner . It didn't help - nor come to mind ( thank God ) when the real chips were down ! That some kids will f*ck up and ruin their lives, get diseases , etc. is a given . It's nature's way of controlling overpopulation - and seperating the foolish from the smart ( not that redemption isn't possible ) . Let's just just hope it's not you nor anyone else here . I will give $100 .00 US /Euros to anyone 16+ who really doesn't have a reasonable sense of what is involved in sex or it's reprocussions : if they don't know by then ; and they still f*uck -then they are idiots ... and a class or two aren't going to help them .Nature has a way of making life REALLY hard on idiots , and we should be pleased it is so .

They very likely were , Seeker ,and I'm not picking on you . I just think that you ( regardless of your status in a relationship or or not ) , have a pretty fair sense of what is right or wrong for you to do , sexually , now - despite those classes . Like it or not , the 'REAL ' signal comes from your parents , and then your own feeling - and not your school , n'est pas ?! :)

If you don't take school somewhat seriously , you've already blown Act I in a three part play ... I hope this is not the case ! Tough to recover from ... By ' seriously ' , though , I only mean ' how to play the game ' . If you are seriously brillant , however , you are just cheating yourself from a wonderful future . :P I ' sense ' you can do it !