bar band

johnlongstreth

Rent the DVD "AC/DC- Stiff Upper Lip- LIVE". Burn "The Jack" into your head, note for note, lick for lick. It's one of those songs that gets the crowd into it, and you'll be remembered for years. Just remember to lose your mind while you are playing the solos. Act as if you are channeling some tortured guitar demon through your Marshall which is whacked all the way up to 10, and make sure the bassist and the drummer are locked in unison.

Ken.

I'd love to here what your own passions in music are, as well of those in the band. The reason for this is if you are to be a cover band to start with, it should cover the same sounds that you and your band are into. For example I think people respond to alot of different cover sounds, and you really cannot leave any out; from Motown, to Grunge, Metal, Classic Rock, Pop, BeBop, Country Rowdy, to anything on the fringe.

You see this is not an easy question to answer! It also goes to what you are playing and capable of playing. You would'nt want to play something just cause you thought it would generate gate, when you could'nt pull it off and have everyone who came to see your band as piss poor.

Who knows maybe you just go with your own sound and have trouble initially generating gate, but later are known for creating something entirelly unique and you; maybe a new sound?

If you still want to cover some songs that would hold an audience, I think it safe to say anything vintage that you can do well.

I had a chance to listen to a young man who was previously with a local cover band who had now ventured off on his own. Now the cover band he was with sounded good doing alot of different stuff, but he sounded great doing accoustic work covering Van Morrisons old stuff. It is all a gamble because I thought the original cover band was good as well. I don't think he will ever make anything of himself in the music industry, and I've always thought the cover songs were good to practice and get good at to inspire the band toward the style of music for their original stuff. That is where Grunge took off; you know the freedom to invent and reinvent themselves, holding no conformetty to any rules of engagement.

Think on it a while, and respond please. I'd love to help with more thought, being a musician myself.

well heres the thing, me and a few guys picked up guitars about 3 years ago and have been playing scales and modes with metronomes for about 2 years then we heard about underground heavy metal and shred guitarists and stuff. we started listening to it cause it was the most technical stuff wed ever heard. so we got all our death metal education and then started a not too serious or anything but we just wanted to write some stuff so we made some pretty bad songs but you dont make any money off of death metal. so were takin a break and we heard bar bands make alot of money so were learning a bunch of new metal stuff. like godsmack and whatnot. ill tell you i never listen to much mainstreem stuff cause i thought it was so simplistic, but now that i am covering alot of the songs, its sad how simplistic the songs are.i mean they are good songwriters though... :: ::but were sorta just lookin for good songs to cover cause we dont know any mainstreem stuff. all we listen to is technical stuff. challenging stuff. insane stuff.

Play Comfortaby Numb. That will get everyone going and I've seen a local band... my town is like 4,000 pop.....and man they could play that song. Then they played some Tool song and everything kinda fell apart, i dunno.

COMFORTABY NUMB RULES

I'd say Another Brick in the wall would get them into the action too :laughing:

I have a friend in a cover band. I can't even count how many times I have seen them. This is a sampling of what they play. Very Southern fried rock. Every once in a while they will freak out and play something completely left of center. They did "Kiss" by Prince one night and everyone went crazy.

Alright Now by Free

Dr. Dr. (Bad Case of Loving You) by Robert Palmer

Bad to the Bone by George Thorogood

Best of My Love by The Eagles

Born to Be Wild by Steppenwolf

Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison

Can't Get Enough by Bad Company

Can't You See by Marshall Tucker Band

Cocaine by Eric Clapton

Gimme Three Steps by Lynard Skynard

Hard to Handle by Otis Redding / Black Crowes

Honky Tonk Woman by The Rolling Stones

Keep Your Hands to Yourself by Georgia Satellites

Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet

Mony Mony by Tommy James/ Billy Idol

Mustang Sally by Wilson Pickett

Old Time Rock and Roll by Bob Seger

Proud Mary by Creedance Cleawater

Some Kind of Wonderful by Grand Funk Railroad

Sweet Home Alabama by Lynard Skynard

The Boys are Back in Town by Thin Lizzy

Turn the Page by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

Wonderful Tonite by Eric Clapton

You May be Right by Billy Joel

You Really Got Me by the Kinks/Van Halen

Your Mamma Don't Dance by Loggins and Messina

with a bar band you want to get everybody up dancing. you'll never fail with classic rock like anything from the stones( the ultimate bar band), lynard skynard, bob seger(not old time rocknroll!), aerosmith and any others that will get people up and moving. Course depending on the age group you'll be playing to, you'll have to adjust the bands and songs to their taste. The main thing is don't put them to sleep! :sleepy: The bar owner wants to sell drinks and they do that by getting everyone hot and sweaty dancing. =:P The more money he makes the more likely he'll book you again. Good luck! :guitar:

AC/DC "Have a Drink on Me"

Beastie Boys "Fight for Your Right (to Party)"

Beatles "Twist & Shout"

Hank Jr "Family Tradition" & "Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound" (hey, you are in the south, right?)

The Ramones "I Wanna Be Sedated"

Anything by Aerosmith, Eagles, Jimmy Buffett or Skynyrd would work.

Good luck to ya!

Here's the songs I play the most at the redneck bar three buildings down from my place (hi, wendy ::)

strange days - doors

we can work it out - beatles

get back - b

the ballad of john & yoko - b

revolution (single) - b

cheap sunglases - zz top

sultans of swing - dire straits

mr. tambourine man - dylan

brown eyed girl - van morrison

one bourbon, one scotch, one beer - thorogood

me and bobby mcgee - joplin

venus - forgot who plays this??

walk this way - aerosmith

dirty deeds - ac/dc

life's been good - joe walsh

perfect country and western song (not sure of the tittle?)- dave alan coe

been begging Lou for some allman brothers for a while now...

HTH