The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #57

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so excited!!! :happybanana: :happybanana:

Layla at #1 and the Shirelles at #2, along with Moondance!! I do really wish that Zombie had made it in but, you can't win em all.

All in all though this is a GREAT top ten!! :) :)

There now. I've been excited, upbeat, positive, and properly disappointed that a 90's nomination that I love didn't make it in. C'mon people muster up a little enthusiasm!! :grin:

Farin said.....

Could it be that this is the first time that we have a song in the Ten for a second time?

No, we've had 2 different versions of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" also. :)

And another interesting thing: there are six songs that were the #2 in the Ten of one person, but didn't get any votes from any others.

Well, that can happen even with Hit songs, but it's much more likely to if relatively unknown songs are nominated. I have lots of favorite songs that would be unknown to others, and I'd be the only one voting for them too. I think 'why bother nominating them when there's many more I like'. Also, I like to see my nominations in the Ten !

:)

I love the laid back acoustic version of Layla. I didn't think it would get to #1 though. It would have been nice to see a 'Girl Group' make it for the first time; great to see Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow place so high. Nice to see The Devil Went Down To Georgia get in on it's third attempt. Also the beautiful Instrumental Albatross. We don't get too many instrumentals, unfortunately.

I was disappointed that Long Tall Sally missed out again. Bazooka and I have both nominated it now. The sad thing is that I'll bet we could nominate The Beatles' cover and it would waltz in. Paul does a fine vocal, but it's not a patch on the original.

A Top Ten that I could listen to anytime. :thumbsup:

Will You Love Me Tomorrow written By Carole King and Gerry Goffen is a great tune. It was also recorded by the following;

The Bee Gees recorded what Carole King called "the definitive version" for a Carole King tribute album entitled "Tapestry Revisted" in 1995 (Rod Stewart, Faith Hill, Celine Dion, Aretha Franklin, and others sang the other songs from "Tapestry" on "Tapestry Revisited").

Dusty Springfield included her version as a track on her 1964 album A Girl Called Dusty.

Cher released a version on her 1966 album Cher.

The Four Seasons had a number twenty-four hit on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1968.

Françoise Hardy a famous French singer also recorded her own version on her 1969 album En Anglais (album known in the US and Canada as Loving).

Linda Ronstadt released a version on her 1970 album Silk Purse.

Carole King included a version on her 1971 album Tapestry.

Roberta Flack's version hit number seventy-six on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1972 as "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow."

Melanie had a number eighty-two hit on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1973 and also saw her version go top-forty in the United Kingdom in 1974.

Dana Valery recorded a dance version that hit number ninety-five on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1976.

Dave Mason had a number thirty-nine hit on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1978 with his remake. It was his final top forty hit on that chart.

Maureen Tucker of The Velvet Underground recorded it as the B-side on the single Around And Around / Will You Love Me Tomorrow? in 1981.

Laura Branigan remade it for her 1984 album Self Control.

Joe Walsh recorded a version which featured on his 1992 album Songs for a Dying Planet.

Bryan Ferry had a hit in the United Kingdom with his version in 1993.

Dianne Reeves recorded a smooth jazz version on her 1997 album That Day.

Shawn Colvin covered the song for the closing credits of the series finale of The Larry Sanders Show in 1998.

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes remade the song on their 2001 album Blow in the Wind.

Amy Winehouse recorded a version for the soundtrack of the film Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason in 2004

Filipino pop singer Mark Bautista recorded his version in his 2004 debut album Mark Bautista.

John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers frequently played a live version of the song featuring only guitar and vocals during the bands 2006 Stadium Arcadium tour.

Neil Diamond included this song on his 1993 album, Up On The Roof: Songs From The Brill Building.

Pretty eclectic group.

You guys are old and suck ! 'We' young people look at you with utter disdane ! ;)

And you youngsters are betrayed by your lack of regard for spelling. If you dissed a Dane, he might bloody your nose!

I feel the definitive version of "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" was by The Righteous Brothers on their Best Hits album of 1967. Sublimely soulful.

I must point out that this is not entirely a top ten that the young people will dislike. I like 7 songs from this ten, and I haven't heard the other 3. :)

Good to see Alice Cooper, Cheap Trick and The Charlie Daniels Band making the top ten for the first time (I think).

Also, I think Layla is the third song to have two versions in the top ten, after All Along The Watchtower and I Heard It Through The Grapevine.

I can't believe Saturday In The Park just missed out again! :doh:

Glad you're home and safe , Ron- as opposed to being strung all over the runway or thrashed into a million pieces on an obscure mountain-side ! Still waiting for that ' expat's lament ( or otherwise ) ' , though ... ;)

Thanks for the welcome, Kevin. I made an interpretive photograph of my feelings about the USA. I will have to process it and then will post it another time.

Thanks phil, for all the information!! :bow: Good fodder to add to the songfacts database!

I have to say, I much prefer Clapton's Layla to the Derek and the Dominos original. "No More Mr. Nice Guy" was on my list to nominate, along with "I Thank You" (I wish it had done better), so I'm lovin' this Ten!

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL !!!!

Kevin I have a question for you. Do they let you eat at the grownups' table yet?? :grin:

Also, I think Layla is the third song to have two versions in the top ten, after All Along The Watchtower and I Heard It Through The Grapevine.

Good one Chris ! I might nominate Rolf Harris' version of Stairway To Heaven.

After all, it reached #7 in the U.K. Led Zeppelin didn't even release it as a single.

:headphones:

Great info on Will You Love Me Tomorrow, Phil ! Of all those I've only heard The Shirelles and Carole King's versions. It just shows you can't keep a good song down. And I'll have to chase up the Righteous Brothers' version Ron.

:)

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #57 for the week ending 8th April 2007

1. Layla - Eric Clapton (1992)

2. Will You Love Me Tomorrow - The Shirelles (1960)

3. Moondance - Van Morrison (1970)

4. No More Mr. Nice Guy - Alice Cooper (1973)

5. Surrender - Cheap Trick (1979)

6. Love Is All Around - The Troggs (1967)

7. Carolina In My Mind - James Taylor (1968)

8. Devil Went Down To Georgia, The - Charlie Daniels (1979)

9. Albatross - Fleetwood Mac (1969)

10.Train Kept A Rollin', The - Aerosmith (1973)

I hope all the "Tenners" had a lovely holiday! Now it's on to...

THE SONGFACTOR'S CHOICE TOP TEN #58. NOMINATIONS ARE NOW OPEN!