IntelliTXT - Viable system?

KlassenT

Hey all, I know I'm just the new face around here, but I've been referencing and lurking the Songfacts database for some time now, and only now did it occur to me to join the rest of the community around these parts. :D

One question I've had on my mind though, I notice that the frontend is driven with the IntelliTXT inline ad placement service, so I was just wondering how that's recieved from the perspectives of both the guys in charge, as well as the other regular joes like me who use the site.

As an amateur designer, I've been approached with a lot of low-budget projects (NPOs, home businesses, etc.) that would love to have a web presence, but don't want to shell out for major design work, and I'm happy to step in. One thing's for sure though, even the 'cheaper' content hosts are still more than a drop in the bucket, so I've been contemplating IntelliTXT as a possible solution for these folks. I wanted some firsthand input, though, before I go suggesting a system I don't have much experience with to people who decided to bring their business my way. And I figured, of course, that my always intelligent fellow audiophiles here at SF are prime candidates for said survey. ;)

Ultimately, this would be a suggestion to help some of my lower-budget clients float the bill for hosting and domain costs, nothing to necessarily pull a profit from. Personally, I think it seems like a balanced, unintrusive method to offer context-targetted advertisements with minimal user frustration, but what about all of YOU? I know we've got quite the variety around here, so any and all input is welcome. If the remarks about IntelliTXT are -too- scathing, you can always send them back to me via PM, but hopefully there aren't too many pitfalls with it. Either way, I'm happy with anything you guys and gals can offer. :)

Thanks in advance!

-Tony Klassen [KlassenT]

Hi Tony.

The Intellitxt stuff has worked OK for us, but we limit it to the comment sections. When we tried it here on the boards, it was kind of disruptive and didn't do very well. You might want to experiment with it for some of your clients. As far as user experience, we've gotten few complaints, since it's pretty unobtrusive.