Scotty Emerick (Beer For My Horses)

Shawna

Scotty Emerick is a doll. He called me himself to set the appointment for our interview, something that PR reps typically do.

And not only is he as respectful as anyone could be, he's a mega-mega talented songwriter, and an accomplished singer in his own right. Along with partner-in-rhyme Toby Keith, they have six Number One hit songs. His music is everywhere. And he's just 32.

Scotty actually seemed a little shy, and told me he didn't think he would be a "good interview." He was wrong. He told me stories about Willie Nelson, Toby Keith, even Jimmy Buffett's Coral Reefer Band - all of with whom he has recorded at least once. And those are just the duets.

His sense of humor is very alive in his music, in songs like "I'm Just Talkin' About Tonight," "The Taliban Song," "As Good As I Once Was," and "I Can't Take You Anywhere."

He says he was surprised when Toby suggested their song "Beer For My Horses" would be a good duet to do with Willie Nelson, and didn't think they'd be able to talk Willie into it. But they did. He was just as surprised when Willie turned out to be as good-natured and down-to-earth as a person can be, and they have become good friends.

And he answered that burning question that anybody who's heard the song has been asking:

Yes, the story about "Weed With Willie" is true. :grin:

• 4 weeks later...