Mellencamp's Panic Attacks

RonJonSurfer

John Mellencamp Suffers From Panic Attacks

"That's why I don't play so much anymore. I've had to go to the hospital over it."

Rocker John Mellencamp suffers from panic attacks.

The singer admits he's often left crippled at live shows and that's the main reason he doesn't tour as much as he used to at the beginning of his career.

He tells Blender magazine, "There's no rhyme or reason to it; I'll be up onstage and it'll just hit me, with no warning.

"That's why I don't play so much anymore. I've had to go to the hospital over it. It's no laughing matter."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2007

I have seen John 3 times in concert, the last one in 2001 for the cutting head tour. He was different on stage than he was back in the early 80's and now I know why. Very laid back, not really getting into the songs like he did the other times. I have a friend who gets panic attacks, it is not funny and I hope he does find a way to manage them.

I won tickets and the opportunity to meet John Mellencamp in 2005. It was the second time I'd seen him, and I agree with Janey, about the difference between the times. Backstage however, one on one, he was very friendly and forthcoming. He was quite willing to chat. I am originally from a little town in Indiana very close to the one he's from, and we talked about that. Maybe one on one was less threatening?

I feel badly for him. Panic attacks can be horrific for the person dealing with them.

RonJon, in an interview I heard him give many years ago, he spoke about how much he hated the whole "Cougar" thing. Originally he was "Johnny Cougar", then it became John "Cougar" Mellencamp, and finally was dumped altogether. He stated that the label he originally signed with felt the name Mellencamp wasn't marketable. As soon as he switched labels, he began using his own name. At least that's the way he stated it back then ... who knows the reality of the situation?