Ben Kweller

Earth-Angel

Ben Kweller

I don't know why I haven't mentioned him before, and it saddens me there are 2 lonely posts on Songfacts about this very talented guy.

A lot of kids are raised in musical families, but few had the introduction to music that Ben Kweller had. Nils Lofgren was one of his Kweller's father's buddies during Lofgren's days with Bruce Springsteen. Young Kweller, not even old enough for kindergarten at the time, would try to be like the famous guitarist when he picked up his own toy version of the instrument. He played the piano since his very early childhood and, by the age of eight, Kweller had graduated from toy guitars and simply tapping the ivories to penning his own tunes. The following year, he received a nod of encouragement from Billboard magazine when it conferred an honorable mention on the youth for his entry into its yearly songwriters competition. By the time he hit his teen years, Kweller was accomplished on the guitar and also played the drums.

Only a tender 23, but sounds older and younger depending on your choice of track. He's not quite quirky, a bit rocky, funny and effortlessly charming.

Said to sounds like Beck, Ben Folds and Pavement, I'd say little more like a a juicy ice lolly slowly dripping down your chin as you enjoy its fruitiness on a lazy summer day sat on your porch in a rocking chair thinking about your plans later for driving around with your friends to the beach for a party around a bonfire.

wiki and myspace

benkwellerkk0.jpg

I just wish that The Bens [ben Kweller, Ben Folds, Ben Lee] would get back together for a second release. Their 2004 self-titled debut was little more than some studio sessions that ended up beingc a highly marketable release, and I just think they work incredibly well together. The group is worth checking out as long as you're interested in Kweller (Or either of the other two in the project, to be honest.)