Charlie Daniels

Shawna

Charlie Daniels is quite a character - with quite a bit of music history behind him. Stuff that I was never aware of until today... and I thought I had a pretty good background on him! (I've been a fan since high school.)

For example, back in the early '60s, Elvis Presley recorded one of Charlie's very first songs, called "It Hurts Me."

Also, his song "Long-Haired Country Boy" was taken out of the band's live shows for several years, because drug problems were becoming too prevalent with kids. The song itself was written very tongue-in-cheek, but got misconstrued by some critics as promoting drug use and drinking. Due to popular demand, however, the CDB brought back the song to their live shows - but only after changing some lyrics to "clean it up."

Charlie said the band's song "Still In Saigon" was the first anti-Vietnam song released, and they received overwhelming support for it.

He also talked to me about the Devil's fiddle playing in "The Devil Went Down To Georgia," and why Johnny's fiddle playing won the contest, even though there are fans who think the Devil played a better tune.

And there's much more...

I had never heard Charlie's speaking voice before today... he's got quite an accent. Very endearing, and a very nice man. This was one of those interviews where, because I've been a fan so long, I was a little worried that he would somehow not live up to my expectations. No worries - he really is all that.

Watch for the Songfacts in the coming weeks for the answers to all your questions! And for the interview to be posted in its entirety, as soon as that feature is up and running - very, very soon. :)

For the full interview, go to http://www.songfacts.com/int/2007/05/charlie-daniels.html

Edited by Guest

I pushed for the "Didn't the devil get hosed" line of questioning. I mean, come on. Johnny was OK, but the devil was downright evil. I want to know who was judging that contest - maybe the French figure skating judge, or all those people who voted for Taylor Hicks. :)

I almost forgot the funniest part. I asked him about the line in "Uneasy Rider" that says "I just reached out and kicked old Green Teeth right in the knee." He says he really did know a guy with green spots on his teeth. He never kicked him, he said, "but maybe I should have." :grin: :grin: