Who's Sick?

RonJonSurfer

Roger Daltrey Suffering From Viral Infection

Last week he walked off stage during the first song at a Tampa, Florida gig.

The Who's world tour has been thrown into jeopardy because Roger Daltrey is suffering from a serious viral infection.

Daltrey walked off stage during the first song in Tampa, Florida last week suffering from what they thought was bronchitis.

Band member Pete Townshend now reveals the rocker's condition is much worse and he came close to being hospitalized.

The guitarist says, "It has been established that Roger had alarmingly low sodium levels, leading to problematic dehydration. He contracted a viral infection. It was recommended he go into the hospital and go on a drip for a few days to set him right. A doctor from the UK advised caution and suggested Roger simply try resting before going into the hospital. He is taking some medication.

"Bill Curbishley, The Who's manager, has, with my full support, canceled the next show in San Antonio. A decision will be made on the rest of the shows on this leg of the tour.

"I'm distraught about this, as I have waited so long to play in Mexico."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2007

Hey Fin, where'd you hear about these 'surprises'? The Who's website is down right now, which is frustrating for someone who really wants to know if there will actually be a make-up concert. }:(

Which website do you mean? thewho.net has been down for ages, petetownshend.com doesn't exist anymore but forwards you to Pete's blog instead, there's only thewhotour.com left. I'll see if I can find this article or statement again.

From his blog, March 16th:

Friday, March 16, 2007

SxSW in Austin - Roger Medicare in Miami

Having such a great time here in Austin. Old friends, new friends, music music music everywhere. The vibe here is wonderful. If you love music and have never been to this Festival try to come soon, they handle the numbers, the people, the tech, the food and everything with such good grace.

I have been doing days full from dawn till dawn. Not much time to worry about Roger, but it turns out he has a viral infection complicated by severe dehydration. To be honest, on Roger.s behalf, he so often FEELS as though he's at death's door that when it really happens - as it did at Tampa - he fails to act on it quickly enough. I plan to call him tomorrow and I'll let you know how he is.

Thanks to everyone for their understanding, and to those too who complained. It's good to know you work so hard to come and see us, and that it hurts when we don't play because it hurts us too. We plan something very special for all our fans who missed out.

posted by Pete Townshend at 11:15 PM

Not sure if this only applies to Tampa, but I don't think so.

I am not sure I believe this. I think there is more to the story simply because why would he not know he was that sick before he went out to sing? And why wouldn't he tell the fans before he walked off stage?

And, why do all these famous people need hospitalizations and IV drips and us normal people just keep working. I wish I could be hospitalized for exhaustion. LOL And then go to a $50,000 a month treatment center on the beach.