List 36

Elvish

Please, let me renominte a masterpiece... :bw: :bow: :bow:

dylanbobblondevv7.jpg

"Blonde on Blonde"

Bob Dylan

Dylan´s seventh album and the first double-LP in rock history, released in May 1966.

Tracks:

Side 1

1. "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35"

2. "Pledging My Time"

3. "Visions of Johanna"

4. "One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)"

Side 2

1. "I Want You"

2. "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again"

3. "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat"

4. "Just Like a Woman"

Side 3

1. "Most Likely You'll Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)"

2. "Temporary Like Achilles"

3. "Absolutely Sweet Marie"

4. "4th Time Around"

5. "Obviously 5 Believers"

Side 4

1. "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands"

Bob Dylan - Guitar, Harmonica, Piano, Keyboards, Vocals

Al Kooper - Organ, Guitar, Horn, Keyboards

Robbie Robertson - Guitar, Vocals

Joe South - Guitar

Rick Danko - Bass, Violin, Vocals

Bill Atkins - Keyboards

Wayne Butler - Trombone

Kenneth A. Buttrey - Drums

Paul Griffin - Piano

Garth Hudson - Keyboards, Saxophone

Jerry Kennedy - Guitar

Sanford Konikoff - Drums

Wayne Moss - Guitar, Vocals

Richard Manuel: drums, keyboards, vocals

Hargus "Pig" Robbins - Piano, Keyboards

Henry Strzelecki - Bass

Charlie McCoy - Bass, Guitar, Harmonica, Trumpet

This is from wikipedia:

jgeilsbandmi9.jpg

Freeze Frame

The J. Geils Band

Studio album, 1981.

Produced by Seth Justman.

Songs:

1- Freeze-Frame" (Justman, Wolf)

2- Rage in the Cage" (Justman, Wolf)

3- Centerfold" (Justman)

4- Do You Remember When?" (Justman, Wolf)

5- Insane, Insane Again" (Justman)

6- Flamethrower" (Justman)

7- River Blindness" (Justman)

8- Angel in Blue" (Justman)

9- Piss on the Wall" (Justman, Wolf)

Stephen Bladd - drums, vocals

J. Geils - guitar

Seth Justman - keyboard, vocals

Danny Klein - bass

Magic Dick - harmonica, trumpet, saxophone

Peter Wolf - vocals

Cissy Houston and Luther Vandross do some backup vocals.

I saw them live many years ago, when this album was released. They were opening for The Rolling Stones... and they were amazing!!!

You know something, I don't like the search feature on this site, sorry, just don't. I could not find a reference to this album ever being listed (or nominated) but I believe it has (probably been listed). Oh well though. Here goes.

titaht3.jpg

I still remember the summer of '75 so vividly, this album was just a couple months old. The title song is such a great hook. Couldn't make out the lyrics to save my life, but it is a blast to listen to, still, today.

Uncle Salty is an unusually arrangement, but very spicy. Reminds me of an early morning fogging September day.

Adams Apple is a test to stretch Tyler's vocal ranges. Incredible. What a riff!

Walk this way. Ha-ha, what a great tune, I love it. An original masterpiece by the boys.

Big ten inch record, it's ok. Nothin' special.

Sweet emotion. Excellent, my favorite track on the album. It has it all. Words cannot describe.

No More No more, my second fav., not sure why, it just has a great sound to it, I love it.

Round and round, it's ok. You see me crying is another classic, stands the test of time, heck the whole album does for that matter.

I nominate "Toys in the attic" to list 36!

Purple Rain - Prince (1984)

purplerain.jpg

Track Listing:

"Let's Go Crazy" – 4:39

"Take Me with U" – 3:58

"The Beautiful Ones" – 5:17

"Computer Blue" – 3:56

"Darling Nikki" – 4:13

"When Doves Cry" – 5:52

"I Would Die 4 U" – 2:56

"Baby I'm a Star" – 4:45

"Purple Rain" – 8:42

This album blended rock, soul and funk, and was also the soundtrack to the movie "Purple Rain" released the same year. Prince wrote all the songs except "Computer Blue". He was not new to the music scene, having made five previous albums, but this one shot him into the stratosphere.

What can I say, love him or hate him, you cannot deny his talent. This was the album you HAD to own in my teenage years.

a renomination from me:

mobyplayfrontmw7.jpg

Play ~ Moby

Track listing

1. "Honey" – 3:28

2. "Find My Baby" – 3:59

3. "Porcelain" – 4:01

4. "Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?" – 4:24

5. "South Side" – 3:49

6. "Rushing" – 3:00

7. "Bodyrock" – 3:36

8. "Natural Blues" – 4:13

9. "Machete" – 3:37

10. "7" – 1:02

11. "Run On" – 3:45

12. "Down Slow" – 1:34

13. "If Things Were Perfect" – 4:18

14. "Everloving" – 3:25

15. "Inside" – 4:48

16. "Guitar Flute & String" – 2:09

17. "The Sky Is Broken" – 4:18

18. "My Weakness" – 3:37

With 1999's Play, he made yet another leap back toward the electronica base that had passed him by during the mid-'90s. The first two tracks, "Honey" and "Find My Baby," weave short blues or gospel vocal samples around rather disinterested breakbeat techno. This version of blues-meets-electronica is undoubtedly intriguing to the all-important NPR crowd, but it is more than just a bit gimmicky to any techno fans who know their Carl Craig from Carl Cox. Fortunately, Moby redeems himself in a big way over the rest of the album with a spate of tracks that return him to the evocative, melancholy techno that's been a specialty since his early days. The tinkly piano line and warped string samples on "Porcelain" frame a meaningful, devastatingly understated vocal from the man himself, while "South Side" is just another pop song by someone who shouldn't be singing -- that is, until the transcendent chorus redeems everything. Surprisingly, many of Moby's vocal tracks are highlights; he has an unerring sense of how to frame his fragile vocals with sympathetic productions. Occasionally, the similarities to contemporary dance superstars like Fatboy Slim and Chemical Brothers are just a bit too close for comfort, as on the stale big-beat anthem "Bodyrock." Still, Moby shows himself back in the groove after a long hiatus, balancing his sublime early sound with the breakbeat techno evolution of the '90s.

What's Going On is Marvin Gaye's 1971 Masterpiece.

imagesoa9.jpg

Track List;

Side A

"What's Going On" (Al Cleveland, Marvin Gaye, Renaldo Benson) – 3:52

"What's Happening Brother" (James Nyx, M. Gaye) – 2:44

"Flyin' High (In the Friendly Sky)" (M. Gaye, Anna Gordy Gaye, Elgie Stover) – 3:49

"Save the Children" (Cleveland, M. Gaye, Benson) – 4:03

"God is Love" (M. Gaye, A. Gaye, Stover, Nyx) – 1:49

"Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" (M. Gaye) – 3:49

[edit] Side B

"Right On" (Earl DeRouen, M. Gaye) – 7:31

"Wholy Holy" (Cleveland, M. Gaye, Benson) – 3:08

"Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" (M. Gaye, Nyx) – 5:26

From Wikipedia;

The What's Going On album became one of the highlights of Gaye's career and is today his best-known work. Both in terms of sound (influenced by funk and jazz) and lyrical content (heavily political) it was a major departure from his earlier Motown work. Two more of its singles, "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" and "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)", became Top 10 pop hits and #1 R&B hits. The album became one of the most memorable soul albums of all time and, based upon its themes, the concept album became the next new frontier for soul music. It has been called "the most important and passionate record to come out of soul music, delivered by one of its finest voices".

Could someone explain to me how this works? Do I just post with an album i really like?

There are a couple of stickies that explain the process a bit. But Edna is right: basically just pick an album that's not been on the list in the past and post a short review. Pretty simple, really :)

I would like to nominate Faith Hill's "Fireflies" album.

The songfacts from our interview with songwriter Lori McKenna - who wrote several of the songs on this album - have recently been uploaded.

In particular is the title song "Firefles." I first heard it when Faith and Lori performed it on Oprah when I was laid up over the summer recovering from surgery. I was mesmerized. It's such a magical song and made me forget what I was going through for a few minutes, anyway.

Also a standout is "Stealing Kisses," for which Faith was nominated for Country Female Vocalist. This was the song she performed at the Grammys where, when Carrie Underwood won, Faith was seen in that little clip saying "What?" to the camera. I firmly believe that she was joking - it's something I would have done, because I'm a smart-ass, so I can relate.

Anyway, the biggest hit on the album (I think) was "Mississippi Girl", even though in my opinion it's not the best song on it.

Links to the Songfacts write-ups are here:

Fireflies and the video

If You Ask

Stealing Kisses and the video (Lori is to Faith's right)

Yes I Am - Melissa Etheridge (1993)

YesIAm.jpg

Track Listing:

"I'm the Only One" – 4:54

"If I Wanted To" – 3:55

"Come to My Window" – 3:55

"Silent Legacy" – 5:22

"I Will Never Be the Same" – 4:41

"All American Girl" – 4:05

"Yes I Am" – 4:24

"Resist" – 2:57

"Ruins" – 4:53

"Talking to My Angel" – 4:48

This was Melissa Etheridge's fourth album. The two biggest hits are "Come To My Window" and "I'm The Only One". Melissa wrote all the songs and was co-producer on the album. This is a lady who can really rock!

• 2 weeks later...

whitelionmw0.jpg

•Hungry

•Lonely Nights

•Don't Give Up

•Sweet Little Loving

•Lady Of The Valley

•Wait

•All You Need Is Rock N' Roll

•Tell Me

•All Join Our Hands

•When The Children Cry

In the beginning of summer 1987, I kept hearing this song on the radio, I could not help but be drawn in by the unmistakable vocals a voice that seems to be in desperation. It was, as it turned out Mike Tramp. The other interesting aspect of the song was the remarkable guitar playing which I would come to better know of being that by Vito Bratta. I sought out the album quickly, this was it.

Immediately I was hooked on this entire album, in reality, in time, the hook song would result in my least favorite on the album.

The intro song is Hungry, which take time to get used to, I'll admit, but some real heavy-duty rocking, and absolute wicked licks by Vito. Lonely Nights, one of my favorite riffs tells the tale of a lonely girls struggle with lost love. Don't Give Up is the third track, an inspirational anthem of sorts, another outright rockin' track that keeps the hard hitting tempo of this album going strong. Sweet Little Lovin', another of my top five off this album is great, just a great riff, and the solo is great, Lady Of The Valley is a bit of a sleeper tune, don't misunderstand, it's still a good tune, it takes the whole album down a slowing path temporarily along with it's following of Wait, which is a still a good tune, but not nearly as good as the others. All You Need Is Rock N' Roll, a rockers anthem is a bit morose and over repetative, but some good work by Vito again, as usually. Tell Me is the crowning jewel of this whole album, it really flows well and the whole band is at its best for this song, good lyrics too, better than any other they wrote. Ironically of the three songs off this album to break into the top 100 billboard this was the lowest placement at #58.

All Join Our Hands is another excellent tune, it simply rocks. It's maybe a smidgen too long, but what the hell.

The closing number called When The Children Cry is my second favorite on this album, a wonderful wistful tune that just grabs you. It made the highest showing on the charts at #3.

Vito Bratta won best new guitarist awards with both Guitar World magazine and Guitar For The Practicing Musician magazine following this album.

This album peaked at #11 on the album charts. and would remain on the top 200 Billboard album charts for a full year.

Pride is one of just 20 hard rock albums to ever have multiple top 10 hits.

They toured with Kiss, Aerosmith, Stryper and others, including opening for AC/DC.

I noticed that Nirvana wasn't in MoC before either :shocked:

even though they are overrated ( ;) ), I believe they should have at least a chance...

inuteronew1nb1.jpg

In Utero ~ Nirvana

Track listing

All songs by Kurt Cobain unless otherwise noted.

1. "Serve the Servants" – 3:34

2. "Scentless Apprentice" (Cobain/Grohl/Novoselic) – 3:47

3. "Heart-Shaped Box" – 4:39

4. "Rape Me" – 2:49

5. "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle" – 4:07

6. "Dumb" – 2:29

7. "Very Ape" – 1:55

8. "Milk It" – 3:52

9. "Pennyroyal Tea" – 3:36

10. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" – 4:49

11. "tourette's" – 1:33

12. "All Apologies" – 3:50

Throughout it all, Cobain's songwriting is typically haunting, and its best moments rank among his finest work, but the over-amped dynamicism of the recording seems like a way to camouflage his dispiritedness -- as does the fact that he consigned such great songs as "Verse Chorus Verse" and "I Hate Myself and Want to Die" to compilations, when they would have fit, even illuminated the themes of In Utero. Even without those songs, In Utero remains a shattering listen, whether it's viewed as Cobain's farewell letter or self-styled audience alienation.

Few other records are as willfully difficult as this.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ;)

I will vote for that album, you know? It's easily their best. Much better than Nevermind. Serve the Servants, Scentless Apprentice, Rape Me, Dumb, All Apologies, Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle, Heart Shaped Box, Pennyroyal Tea... they're all great!

[smallest] In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero In Utero [/smallest]