The Pretenders

Ok I did a search and there is no thread dedicated to this awesome group, so I am starting one.

I became a fan with their first album "The Pretenders" back in 1980. I think Chrissie Hynde's talent is beyond words. Her songwriting pulls you in and you are feeling her words as she sings them with her sexy style.

The Pretenders struggled with different band line-ups due to the firing of Pete Farndon and the tragic death of James Honeyman-Scott due to a drug overdose, and then Farndon a year later also died from an overdose.

I stayed a fan through all the changes within the band. I saw them in concert 3 times and each time the line-up was different, but it was Chrissie that I went to see. Her style and stage presence was intoxicating. She rocked just as well as the guys, if not better. I was never disappointed at a concert.

I love so many of their songs, I can't pick just one favorite. Here are some of my top picks...

Kid

Mystery Achievement

Precious

Message of Love

Middle of The Road

Tattooed Love Boys

Up The Neck

Night in My Veins

There are more, but these I never get tired of listening to.

I know there are Pretenders fans on SF...come on share your thoughts on this kickin' band.

"The Pretenders" was the first album I ever bought. It's brilliant. Second album is good too, though I confess I kind of lost touch with them after that. Oh...I bought the "Back On The Chain Gang" single,too. :bow:

Chrissie Hynde was an icon, and, (I believe anyway), one of the most credible role-models for girls/women into rock music, at a time when there weren't really that many around. Around the early 80s I read quite a few interviews with women fronting punk/alternative bands who cited Chrissie as a major inspiration.

Although The Pretenders weren't strictly a punk band, they had bags of punk attitude, which certainly shines through in those first albums. Chrissie wasn't averse to flirting with the more distasteful aggressive and confrontational vibe that was de rigueur at that time.

It might be news to some that Chrissie was actually a "player" in the early days of the UK punk thing, hanging out with The Clash and The Pistols, playing her embryonic songs to them in dingy, squalid flats, (and probably not being taken very seriously...) She formed a punk band of her own, "The Moors Murderers", with Steve Strange who later found fame in New Romantic guise with Visage. Thankfully, that band came to nothing, paving the way for The Pretenders.

I think it was "Stop You're Sobbing" that hooked me - I didn't know it was a Ray Davies song at first- then probably "Kid". I'm pretty sure I already had the album when "Brass In Pocket" came out. I dunno..it was along time ago now. But hell, I can remember the excitement of getting that album...Still fantastic after all these years.

I kept up with them through the years. I was just so impresssed with Chrissie Hynde, yes I have a girl crush on her, how can you not? I have all their albums through "The Last Of The Independents". I want to get "Pirate Radio" the box set. I may just have to buy myself an early birthday gift this year!

Edna...I love that album cover!! Chrissie looks hot yet at the same time like she could kick some azz!!! The ultimate rocker chick!

I did have a crush on James Honeyman-Scott for a little while, he had that bad boy thing going on. :shades:

I went home last night and pulled out their first two albums and just jammed, and my little girl was dancing around. She has great taste in music...wonder where she gets it! ;)

That The Pretenders were led by a hard-rocking woman was no small factor in their early breakthrough. With her trademark dark bangs, dark eyeliner, and dark jeans, Hynde appealed to both genders. And due to, as the 1983 Rolling Stone Record Guide would say, "her sheer authenticity as a three-dimensional woman whose sexuality is completely in sync with a superb rock sensibility," she was able to escape many of the clichéd roles of women in rock music

That is the Chrissie I love and admire!!

I'm thinking now that I must have bought the album with my "birthday money" as soon as it hit the shelves in January 1980.

Is it a collector´s item now? :cool: I bought it in London two days after it was released. It´s still in good shape...