Gillian Welch

blind-fitter

After being impressed with her on a TV documentary a year or two back, I made a mental note to check out her music, but have never got round to it. I intend to put this right by buying one of her albums. The question is: which one?

I've recently been reading a book called "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die" which suggests that Welch's "Time (The Revelator)" meets this criteria, but some of the reviews I've read have suggested "Hell Among The Yearlings" may be even better. Then there is her debut album "Revival" to consider. :stars: :crazy:

All of the reviews I've read of Gillian Welch have been sooo complimentary, it's difficult to know where to start. Any advice from SongFactor fans of hers would be welcome.

I love her, B-F. One of the more underrated talents out there, and her voice is amazing.

My two favorites are "My Morphine", which is on "Hell Among The Yearlings", and "Dear Someone", which is on "Time (The Revelator)". Her overall sound is fairly consistent from album to album, based on what I've heard. I'd go with either of those two albums, and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

She's a real throwback, and I'm glad to see people like her still around and getting (somewhat) noticed.

Get your hands on a copy of the superior "Down From The Mountain - The Music From O Brother Where Art Thou?". Gillian Welch turns in a number of unbelieveable performances. The following is from wikipedia.com

Performances in the film

"Po' Lazarus" – arrangement by Alan Lomax; performed by the Fairfield Four (Isaac Freeman, Wilson Waters, Robert Hamlett, Joseph Rice and Nathan Best)

"Big Rock Candy Mountain" – traditional; performed by John Hartford, vocals and fiddle; Mike Compton, mandolin; Chris Sharp, guitar; Larry Perkins, bass

"Wild Bill Jones" – traditional; performed by Alison Krauss and Union Station (Alison Krauss, vocals and fiddle; Dan Tyminski, vocals and guitar; Barry Bales, bass; Jerry Douglas, dobro; Ron Block, banjo)

"Blue and Lonesome" – traditional; performed by Alison Krauss and Union Station

"Green Pastures" – traditional; performed by Emmylou Harris, vocals and guitar; Gillian Welch, vocals; David Rawlings, vocals and guitar; Jerry Douglas, dobro; Barry Bales, bass

"Indian War Whoop" – written by Hoyt Ming and Pep Steppers; performed by John Hartford, fiddle; Gillian Welch, vocals; Mike Compton, mandolin; Chris Sharp, guitar; Larry Perkins, bass

"Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby" – arrangement by Alan Lomax, T-Bone Burnett and Gillian Welch; performed by Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, and Gillian Welch

"John Law Burned Down the Liquor Sto'" – Chris Thomas King and Colin Linden, slide resonator guitars and vocals.

"I Am Weary (Let Me Rest)" – written by Pete Roberts; performed by the Cox Family (Suzanne Cox, vocals and mandolin; Evelyn Cox, guitar; Sidney Cox, banjo; Willard Cox, vocals and fiddle; Barry Bales, bass; Mike Compton, mandolin)

"Will There Be Any Stars In My Crown?" – traditional; performed by the Cox Family

"In the Highways" – written by Maybelle Carter; performed by Leah, Sarah and Hannah Peasall

"Down in the River to Pray" – traditional; performed by Alison Krauss with the First Baptist Church Choir of White House, Tennessee

"Man of Constant Sorrow" – arrangement by Ed Haley; solo fiddle by John Hartford

"Dear Someone" – written by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings; performed by Gillian Welch, vocals; David Rawlings, vocals and guitar; John Hartford, fiddle; Mike Compton, mandolin

"I Want to Sing That Rock and Roll" – written by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings; performed by Gillian Welch, vocals; David Rawlings, vocals and guitar

"Keep on the Sunny Side" – written by A.P. Carter; performed by The Whites (Sharon White, vocals and guitar; Cheryl White, vocals and bass; Buck White, vocals and guitar; Jerry Douglas, dobro)

"Shove That Hog's Foot Further in the Bed" – written by Ed Haley; performed by John Hartford, vocals and fiddle; Mike Compton, mandolin; Chris Sharp, guitar; Larry Perkins, bass

"O Death" – traditional; performed by Ralph Stanley

"Angel Band" – traditional; performed by Ralph Stanley and cast

Ken.

I have the soundtrack as well, it is awesome. No, this is a separate live concert, recorded at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium starring the musicians from "O Brother". My favorite is Gillian Welch, Alison Krauss and Emmylou Harris doing "Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby" . Gave me goosebumps.

1001ey2.jpg

Ken.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

yes you're absolutely right. being a vocalist i always rate the voice first! but my ex-boyfriend is a guitarist and he was seriously impressed by her! i haven't heard enough of her stuff, i have to admit, but she plays cork occasionally so i will definitely make an effort to see her next time!

She has quite alot of upcoming tour dates in the states, I just didn't think to copy/paste them just now...

May 18, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

Fox Theatre

Atlanta, GA

May 19, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

Ryman Auditorium

Nashville, TN

May 20, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

Wexner Center

Columbus, OH

May 21, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

Royal Oak Music Theatre

Royal Oak, MI

May 22, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

Massey Hall

Toronto, ONT

May 24, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

WANG Center

Boston, MA

May 25, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

Town Hall

New York, NY

May 26, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

Town Hall

New York, NY

May 28, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

Town Hall

New York, NY

May 29, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

Town Hall

New York, NY

May 30, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

Town Hall

New York, NY

May 31, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

Town Hall

New York, NY

June 1, 2007

Bright Eyes Tour

Town Hall

New York, NY

June 14-17, 2007

(day & time TBA)

Bonnaroo

Manchester, TN

unfortunately i won't be able to go to any of those either - i'm only on the west coast of the states for five weeks, starting in july. but hopefully some other people will make use of the information and manage to catch her live! i'll just have to wait till she comes around again, hopefully it won't be too long!