Ask the opposite sex

Uncle Joe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the men:

Do you guys like greeting cards at all? Or would you be happier to just get the gift?

(I'll share why I'm asking as soon as there's a few unbiased responses...)

Usually not , except from mom or unless the sendee writes a lovely message or the like- not the crap written by Hallmark . Otherwise , it's just a few seconds of pleasure , which you stick on a shelf and then trash ( or stuff in a drawer ) a few days later . I prefer the humorous ones .

Okay - cool. I'm not a big card-giver except to family (and at Christmastime). And Andy told me a story about how he made his son's fiancee cry once because she'd bought the son a gift, and a beautiful card with some sappy sentiment in it. He opened the car, scanned it, tossed it aside, and tore open the gift. Evidently they got in an argument about it, and Andy pointed out to her how men don't care about greeting cards at all, since it's someone else's words and don't mean anything. He told her to save her money in the future. She argued with him and said, "that's not true!" so Andy said, "Well, let's ask." So they asked the son/fiance, and he said, "It's true." So the girl ran upstairs crying and wouldn't come down most of the day.

I'm discovering that Andy's right about a lot of stuff. :crazy:

Our family rarely buys cards for each other these days. The children don't appreciate the thought involved...the little maggots are only interested in the gift! I used to find brand new cards around the house...birthday, Mother's Day, etc. that my husband had purchased but never gave to the recipient. I finally told him, as long as he remembered the special day, no card was required.

Personally, I don't really like thing like greeting cards because It's such a waste of natural resources. I'm not a Green Peacer or anything thing like that but for some reason I hate to see paper being wasted on something you can't reuse.

I saw so much of that kind of thing working in offices it just made me a little funny about people wasting so much paper :crazy:

Personally, I don't really like thing like greeting cards because It's such a waste of natural resources. I'm not a Green Peacer or anything thing like that but for some reason I hate to see paper being wasted on something you can't reuse.

I saw so much of that kind of thing working in offices it just made me a little funny about people wasting so much paper :crazy:

Really? Well, sure they use up paper, but I'd always expect office work to waste much much more paper. When I was interning and even in uni, everyone usually prints on one side of the sheet. I like to use both. Though, to be honest, the place where I worked tried to avoid using paper at all and there were no greeting cards. But here everyone does all this single-sided printing for the assignments, and I don't care if it's easier to read, it annoys me to see that one side go unused! :mad:

I think it's quite a different experience to receive a card via mail than it is to have a card handed to you along with a gift. The card in the mail tells you someone is thinking about you... the card attached to the gift is maybe just a minor diversion until you can get your hands on the good stuff.

:crazy:

I've already told Andy I will never give him a card, and he's rather happy about that. :laughing:

I don't know... I love the cards my friends give me with the gift. They're not an add-on... they're a part of the present too. Because my friends are funny and their cards are always fun to read :grin:

A gift is just a 'thing'. The card has their handwriting and doodles on it. Gift sans card is kinda impersonal to me :P

Ok - getting a card , taking it from the mail box and opening it is a treat . But as I stated before , men then open it , scan it , and then dismiss it , usually - unless it relates to some crisis or something . And if there's no joke/witty insult/ personal message etc. , then it's soon headed for the bin .

I do sympathize with those who spend a lot of time picking just the 'right' card - done it myself -but I think a humerous card works better for men in that you are showing a common sense of their humor , which they appreciate more than just a poetic ditty .