Most Underrated Guitarists

dustin20176

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. His crisp, clear playing elevates even those rare ordinary Petty tunes.

Don Felder, formerly of the Eagles. With all due respect to Joe Walsh, Felder never got the credit he deserves. Felder plays so smoothly and cleanly and beautifully complemented Walsh's raw, bluesy style.

Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. A first rate axe player. If you haven't already, check out his performance at Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival.

Richard Thompson of Fairport Convention. I love what he does with his Stratocaster. His solo on Poor Will and The Jolly Hangman is fantastic.

:guitar:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The late Mick Ronson was a fantastic guitar player that had an amazing body of work. His biggest claim to fame was playing guitar with Bowie during the Ziggy years.

go to http://www.mickronson.com/contents.htm for a rundown of his many association through the years...click on the "Others" section for the list.

Ok I know he is a country artist, but Vince Gill...check him out on the Clapton Crossroads Live DVD that came out last year!! Vince jams and I think since he is in country he gets overlooked, but when Clapton respects your guitar playing you get noticed. Vince is on Clapton's new album. I saw Vince live about 7 years ago and he can get down on the guitar and I also saw him on a special with Chet Akins back in the 90's before Chet passed away and it was awesome!