The Definitive Top 25 Commercially and Critically Successful Albums

RonJonSurfer

NARM, Hall Of Fame Unveil 'Definitive 200'

The Beatles' album 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club' is #1 in a campaign to promote the most commercial or critically successful albums in history.

DEFINITIVE 200 LIST

NARM, the National Association of Recording Merchandisers, along with the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame have launched their "Definitive 200" campaign.

The campaign, which asks, "Where Would You Be Without Them?" is not the first attempt in music history to rank some of the most commercially and critically successful albums of all time, but it is the first time that these two storied organizations have joined forces to promote and market a list in such a comprehensive, meaningful way.

The "Definitive 200" is the, in a word, definitive, list of 200 albums and soundtracks that should be in every music collection. The list will be released and albums highlighted at retail stores nationwide on Tuesday, kicking off a week of promotional activities.

The culmination will be Monday, March 12th in New York, which Mayor Bloomberg has proclaimed "Definitive 200 Day" in the city.

Top 25 Albums on 'The Definitive 200':

1. BEATLES – SGT. PEPPER’S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND – 1967

2. PINK FLOYD – DARK SIDE OF THE MOON – 1973

3. MICHAEL JACKSON – THRILLER – 1982

4. LED ZEPPELIN – LED ZEPPELIN IV – 1971

5. U2 – JOSHUA TREE –1987

6. ROLLING STONES – EXILE ON MAIN STREET – 1972

7. CAROLE KING – TAPESTRY – 1971

8. BOB DYLAN – HIGHWAY ‘61 REVISITED – 1965

9. BEACH BOYS – PET SOUNDS – 1966

10. NIRVANA – NEVERMIND – 1991

11. PEARL JAM – TEN – 1991

12. BEATLES – ABBEY ROAD – 1969

13. SANTANA – SUPERNATURAL – 1999

14. METALLICA – METALLICA – 1991

15. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN – BORN TO RUN – 1975

16. PRINCE – PURPLE RAIN – 1984

17. AC/DC – BACK IN BLACK – 1980

18. ROLLING STONES – LET IT BLEED – 1969

19. DOORS – DOORS – 1967

20. GRATEFUL DEAD – AMERICAN BEAUTY – 1970

21. SHANIA TWAIN – COME ON OVER – 1997

22. WHO – WHO’S NEXT – 1971

23. STEVIE WONDER – SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE – 1976

24. FLEETWOOD MAC – RUMOURS – 1977

25. PINK FLOYD – WALL – 1979

I don't understand why Exile On Main Street so often rates higher than other Rolling Stones albums. Sure, it has some pretty good songs ( Tumbling Dice , Happy , All Down The Line ).

But how does rank over Let It Bleed , Beggars Banquet , Sticky Fingers and even Aftermath ( Paint It Black , Under My Thumb , Lady Jane ) ?

This is a list compiled by The National Association of Recording Merchandisers . Okay, along with the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. But look at the phrase 'commercially and critically successful'. I think commercially takes precedence over critically. Money makes the world go round!! :crazy:

I don't understand why Exile On Main Street so often rates higher than other Rolling Stones albums. Sure, it has some pretty good songs ( Tumbling Dice , Happy , All Down The Line ).

But how does rank over Let It Bleed , Beggars Banquet , Sticky Fingers and even Aftermath ( Paint It Black , Under My Thumb , Lady Jane ) ?

I was going to post exactly the same lines, but as Master Sir Bazooka :bow: :bow: already did, I just say: WHERE IS STICKY FINGERS?

The Eagles greatest hits is the highest selling in the USA, but Thriller is the highest selling worldwide, as it is the only album to have sold over 50 million copies worldwide.

Rumours holds the record for being in the album charts for the longest time (I can't remember how long, but I think it was around seven years). It is still selling a fair few copies - it has sold around 7 million in the US alone since the album's tenth anniversary.

"Dark Side" is still on the "Top Catalog" albums chart. That's comprised of albums at least 2 years old and no longer in the "Billboard 200", which is the 200 best selling albums currently.

Anywho, "Dark Side" has been on the "Catalog" and "200" charts for a combined 1540 weeks - essentially since it came out. It has sold 15 million copies to date.