Things in songs that annoy you

Batman

....that song "Ain't No Sunshine When She Goes" has a long part in the middle where the words "I know" are repeated soooooo many times. It distracts from the rhythm of the song.

Wow, Jenny. What a difference of opinion we have.

"I know I know I know I know I know I know I know .." is the very coolest part of Bill Withers's Ain't No Sunshine, especially when he finally breaks out of it - ".. I oughta leave the young thing alone!". The song would be nearly ordinary without it.

You would probably really be bugged with Withers's Lovely Day which features the words "lovely day" it seems like a couple of hundred times, as well as having the longest sustained vocal ending note imaginable.

Actually, "Lovely Day" doesn't bother me as much. Don't know why, maybe it just doesn't sound as monotonous to me.

I know that the "I knows" were done for impact, but I still find them distracting. Different strokes....

BIKE-Pink Floyd(the end of it gives me friggin nightmares it's like this laugh from a squeaky toy

I couldn't agree more. After the music stops, the song gets stupid. Another Pink Floyd annoyance is in One Of These days, the voice in which he says "One of these days, I'm going to cut you into tiny pieces" is just...ggg annoying. Also that thing in Toxic by Brittney Spears. Well really the whole song annoys me, but that part especially. Come to think of it, I have never listened to the whole song. I usually shut it off after I hear that part.

I hate it when an 'otherwise good song' is murdered by a female vocalist who thinks she can sing. The obvious examples are Whitney Houston's ear-shatteringly awful version of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" and Mariah Carey's painful cover of Nilsson's [well... Ham & Evans'] "Without You". There are some notes in Whitney's "I Will Always Love You" that made my dog howl. It is honestly the only record I have had to switch off the radio for for because I couldn't stand it when she (almost) hit those notes.

P.S. I think the kazoo in "Crosstown Traffic" is fab!

I think "Hey Jude" is 8 minutes and 6 seconds too long.

Na-na-na-nananana.

1. I think, at the time, a lot of people might have thought the ending of "Hey Jude" was too long, but if you were to chop 2 minutes off it now, it would end all-too-soon.

2. If you chop 8 mins and 6 secs off "Hey Jude", it will be minus 57 seconds long! But I think you knew that! :neener:

I think this has been mentioned somewhere before, but the god blessed whistling in "Patience" by GNR makes me want to slit my wrists and drink my own blood to make the dying process even faster. :beady:

My dad picked up a saying when he was in the Marine Corps that he would ask when he heard someone whistling (ok, it was me whistling): "There are only two kinds of people who whistle. Bosuns mates and a**holes. Which one are you?"

Journey's "Loving Touching Squeezing" is a pretty bad song to begin with, but if they cut it at about 2 minutes 30, it might be stomachable. But when they stretch it out at the end with that "na na na na na na na na na na na na na na, etc, etc, etc", I wanna grab Perry by the throat like a chicken and make him stop that cackling.

:P :P :P :P :P :afro: :afro:

Journey's "Loving Touching Squeezing" is a pretty bad song to begin with, but when they stretch it out at the end with that "na na na na na na na na na na na na na na, etc, etc, etc", I wanna grab Perry by the throat like a chicken and make him stop that cackling

The only song to go, "na - na - na - na - na - na - na" at the end and go over well is The Beatle's "Hey Jude". That is the part of the song I most get into.

Jim Morrison...rest his soul, but he could have left that blood curdling, tortured scream out of "Five to One". I hate that part of the song - makes me cringe. One time that part actually startled me...you know, when you actually jump! Damned Lizard Creep! LOL!

I totally disagree with those who say that the coda ending "Hey Jude" is monotonous or that it would have been better shortened.

The song would have been a rather average Beatles ballad (though in all fairness a mediocre Beatles song is better then a lot of other band's best) had it remained short but instead it launches into a repetitive, yes but boring, no closing anthem-like fadeout. What could have easily become monotonous became in my opinion hypnotic and powerful especially since the orchestra builds along with it. Besides it is varied with Paul McCartney's various vocal tricks from screams to mantra-like chants.

Likewise it serves as another example of the Beatles genius when comes to pushing the boundaries of song structure since most pop songs before it were limited to three or four minutes and never more than six or seven. Despite it?s, at that time, unheard of length they manage pull it off well giving "Hey Jude" an epic feel. In short, it is an innovative and extraordinary song and the coda helped it become groundbreaking as well.

Granted a lot of other songs that are repetitive especially at the end are boring but which songs and why is once again just an opinion.

Things that do annoy me are:

- Over-extended and pointless instrumental solos or textures (maybe its great if your on drugs?)

- Lush and bombastic string and/or choir arrangements that serve to drown out and not accentuate the melody.

- Vocals with either limited range or that shout or talk and don?t sing (e.g. Mick Jaggar, my apologies if I offend any Rolling Stones' fans)

However exceptions due exist.

:headphones:

Annabelle

In Rockaria! by ELO, the female operatic voice annoys me. I know it is necessary to the song, but it is just annoying. In the beggining, I don't know if it's supposed to happen, but she starts too soon, and goes oops, and then proceeds to start singing at the right place. At least that's what it sounds like to me.

Most annoying things in music:

1. When the vocals begin in any Led Zepplin song.

2. Any uplifting-sounding song.

3. When a song is dead on its feet going nowhere (IE: Kansas - Dust in the Wind, Scorpions - Winds of Change)

4. When a song goes from a great rhythm to something totally different (Queen - Heaven for Everyone, U2 - Beautiful Day)

I hate when a song starts with distortion or another cool effect on the vocals and goes to normal after the second verse. Like, don't be a wuss and do it for real. But it's all about sales. I remmember a Bush song, went like: "breathe in, breathe out..." Then it went to the same old crap. There's many others but I can't think of any right now.

you know what I don't like? This is a small problem, because I just fastforward through it, but I don't like the 2:30 beginning to "Time" by pink floyd. just clocks and tom toms and droning guitar.

Oh my. I LOVE that part. It builds to such a crescendo...oh man, the first half of two equally wonderful parts. One of my all time favorite songs. :bow:

oh yeah, I forgot my irritating song.

I like Mellencamp, but in 'Rain on the Scarecrow', the snare drum has a "ping" to it that drives me nuts.

Also, some people are gonna say this is blasphemy, but in Cream's 'Crossroads', where the bass and guitar go off on their own little solos, it just sounds like a mess to me.

I much prefer Skynyrd's version.

Annabelle notes:

Likewise it serves as another example of the Beatles genius when comes to pushing the boundaries of song structure since most pop songs before it were limited to three or four minutes and never more than six or seven. Despite it?s, at that time, unheard of length they manage pull it off well giving "Hey Jude" an epic feel. In short, it is an innovative and extraordinary song and the coda helped it become groundbreaking as well.

Maybe so BUT it may be safe to say that Paul and the lads were trying (and did so) to upstage another tune.

It's been mentioned, noted, etc., that (Beatles - either Paul or John... maybe both) they purposely ended the tune '1' second longer than the previous longest single which was held by (I believe) 'MacArthur Park' to be the top.

IMO, I believe it.

4. When a song goes from a great rhythm to something totally different (U2 - Beautiful Day)

I totally agree. The beginning of that song gave me anticipation that it would be good and was sorely let down.

I dislike the harmonica in most cases. Very few songs can carry this instrument well for me. I think Tom Petty does a good job of placing harmonica in his songs, but most musicians manage to screw things up with their harmonica skillz. The Smiths's "Hand In Glove" could have been an even better song if they only had decided to cut the harmonica from it.

Speaking of songs that had great timbral potential. Morrissey's "November Spawned A Monster" could have been one of my favourite songs of his if not for the placement of this weird woman's garble in the middle - that killed the song right there. If anyone knows where to get an edited version of this song with that excised, I'd be thankful to them.

Speaking of songs that had great timbral potential. Morrissey's "November Spawned A Monster" could have been one of my favourite songs of his if not for the placement of this weird woman's garble in the middle - that killed the song right there. If anyone knows where to get an edited version of this song with that excised, I'd be thankful to them.

?MacArthur Park? was released a few months prior to ?Hey Jude? so both songs were groundbreaking in terms of refining the standard length of songs radio stations were willing to play paving the way for other 7 min+ songs that followed.

?it may be safe to say that Paul and the lads were trying (and did so) to upstage another tune.

It's been mentioned, noted, etc., that (Beatles - either Paul or John... maybe both) they purposely ended the tune '1' second longer than the previous longest single which was held by (I believe) 'MacArthur Park' to be the top.

This however I'm not sure about. From what I?ve read/heard ?MacArthur Park? clocks in around seven and a half minutes but Hey Jude only a few seconds more than seven.

However I'm not sure precisely how long each of the original singles from 1968 ran for. I do believe that ?MacArthur Park? was longer, though I could be wrong. But if it is longer than the claim that the Beatles tried to upstage it is not well founded.

:headphones: