Things in songs that annoy you

Batman

I hate it when I'll be listening to an otherwise good song, but then something weird and annoying will come up in it.

here are a few examples

the kazoo in "crosstown traffic"

the flute in "if six was nine"

the ending to "cat scratch fever" (Ted just kind of overdid it . You think its going to stop at least 9 times.)

Doors : Light My Fire - kinda drags in the middle with the organ

Rush : Roll the Bones - the part near the end, when he almost raps in it

U2 : One - the high notes towards the end of the song

Various songs - When the lead singer opens his big mouth at the beginning

There's many more, but I can't think of them right off hand

U2 : One - the high notes towards the end of the song

That song annoys me period, especially in the chorus when he sings one (or) two extra words in a line or two. Only really great singers/musicians can get away with it and make it sound worthy but not Bono. Nothing personal Bono, just my opinion.

After reading that comment, I now have "Sending out an SOS, Sending out an SOS" repeating in my head. First time I've ever gotten a song stuck in my head, just by reading about it.

I can't think of any off hand, but I know I've heard these songs on many occasions.

I really dislike the thing in the middle of "whole lotta love" when they are just messing with the controls and Plant keeps going "aahhh aaaah ah ah ah aaaah aaaah" and I don't like the long thing in the middle of "Dazed and Confused" where jimmy uses the bow. and I don't like the very end of "Castles Made of Sand." It is so mellow until then, and then all the sudden that weird guitar part.

A guitar solo is good, and a good one is great; but a guitar solo so overzealous that it evolves into something that doesn't even seem like part of the same song...that's annoying.

A great guitar solo can also be destroyed by too many hard slides up & down the fret board, or if it is too "screechy" - like fingernails down a chalkboard. Many 80's bands did this: it kills the whole song. A song in which this method was executed perfectly, however, is "Stairway to Heaven": the transition was seamless - it was consistent with changes to the strength of the song.

I do love The Doors: Ray Manzarek is so incredibly talented, but there are a few Doors tunes in which I wish I could reach in and pull the plug on his keyboards...Deep Purple's Jon Lord as well.

Female artists, like Whitney Houston for example, who has a beautiful and powerful voice, but she will over-sing a song with, as one article describled it, "a virtuosic singing style given over to swooping, flashy melodic embellishments." Mariah Carey does the same thing...enough already!

Male artists who howl, grunt, or make what appear to be animal sounds throughout a song. This is best left to Jim Morrison and Robert Plant, who were sexy enough to pull it off. As for animal sounds, Steven Tyler is probably the only one who can get away with sounding like a makak!

The middle portion of Filter's "Welcome to the Fold" where the music stops and the lyrics "Momma give me my medicine are repeated while he claims that the medicine "makes me feel like a tall tree." I've learned the exact time to fast forward the song to almost avoid this whole area of what is an otherwise really great song.

The first 4:35 of the Stone Roses "Breaking into heaven". The song is over 11 minutes long so you still have a lot of good music left if you skip the first part.

The SOS thing with the Police could be an attempt to recreate the experience of actually sending an SOS. You do it over and over hoping someone will hear it. However other songs that don't have anything to do with distress signals have similar endings.

...---...

This may be true if S.O.S. was done by someone other than the Police whom are famous for monotonous endings.

"We are the spirits in the material world"

How many times is that phrase repeated? One thing about repetition, it lessens the significance of the original point/note while ironically trying to make it seem more important than the first time said/played. My favourite songs include a memorable riff that is only played once throughout the song's entirety. What annoys me the most about certain songs is the repetition of a good beat or phrase. It's worn out and usually I'll tire of the song on it's first play. Doesn't mean I don't like the song, I just dislike it's repetition.

Repetiton doesn't work unless one is prone to being hypnotized. There's nothing to look forward to in a song that wears out it's first beat.

In Jethro Tull's "Cross-Eyed Mary," there's a part near the end that sounds like a CD getting stuck. It really bothers me.

I'm glad other people feel the pain of the high note The Edge likes to hit on guitar. For me, it ruins some otherwise perfectly good U2 songs, especially "With Or Without You." It also sends dogs into a panic.

As much as I love The Beatles, "Hey Jude" is at least 2 minutes too long.

Monotonous endings on otherwise good songs.

S.O.S by the Police is a good example.

How many times do they say:

Sending out an S.O.S at the end?

Many other songs that do this.

You got that one Muzyk - they do this at the end of roxanne too - and roxanne is a great song if it would end about 5 minutes sooner! :sleepy:

Roxanne is a great song if it would end about 5 minutes sooner!

LOL, they'd have to give you an additional 2 minutes back that you just wasted, I never thought much of the early Police, even if it was innovative to the Alternative/New Wave genre.

Both of thoses songs are absolutely wonderful an have nothing wrong with them

I guess the kazoo is allright, but I really hate that flute, you know at the very end? Sorry, but I don't like that part. Otherwise its a great song.

you know what I don't like? This is a small problem, because I just fastforward through it, but I don't like the 2:30 beginning to "Time" by pink floyd. just clocks and tom toms and droning guitar.

That's all a part of what made it such a classic, & gave the song it's distinction.

The song would be much different without the lengthy adapted intro.

In "Small Town" John Mellencamp says "I cannot forget from where it is I come from" The English major in me wants to wring his neck for using the same preposition twice.

The same for Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die"...

But in this ever changing world in which we live in

Yep, annoying.

Another one for different context - object meaning...

Warrant's "Heaven"

I used to mention this one a lot...

Got a picture of your house

And your standing by the door

It's black and white and faded

And it's looking pretty worn.

Since it's obvious he's talkin' about the 'picture' as being 'pretty worn' but re-read it again.

I agree with Muzik on the repetition thing....that song "Ain't No Sunshine When She Goes" has a long part in the middle where the words "I know" are repeated soooooo many times. It distracts from the rhythm of the song.

Also, at the end of "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel, they have that chanting...annoying!!!! and that voice is very grating. The song is better without the ending.

Male artists who howl, grunt, or make what appear to be animal sounds throughout a song. This is best left to Jim Morrison and Robert Plant, who were sexy enough to pull it off. As for animal sounds, Steven Tyler is probably the only one who can get away with sounding like a makak!

I Absolutely LoVe it when Jon Davis starts his lil animal mutterings... most ppl would sound like a complete idiot attempting to immitate it but the way he does it is like a vocalized work of passionate art.

What really bothers me is singers that sound like they are singing out of their noses. ("oops i did it again" by the trashy pig :thumbsdown:, then there's bob dylan ::)

"Monotonous endings on otherwise good songs."

The monotonous and repititious coda that eventually fades out at the conclusion of "Hey, Jude" by the Beatles ruined what would have been a great song. Shortening the coda and finishing up with a rallentando tempo for a measure or two followed by a final chord would have vastly improved the recording.