The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 53

Well, I've never been short of something to say. ;)

The Top Ten just drags out too much for me. In the early days we used to get through 6 a month and had a good rollout for each one.

I can't understand habitually late voters, unless there's a good reason - away with your job during the latter part of the week, or something. It doesn't take long to pick your favorite 10 songs from a list of 50 really.

This should not be taken as a personal attack on anyone.

I'll have a small post to make at the end of this Top Ten.

I think it's a good idea to have the top tens more frequently. There's no good reason why we shouldn't have them more often.

...and while we continue to wait for the voting to end... here's another one of my old nominations to listen to -

Coconut - Harry Nilsson

:cool:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Holiday In Cambodia - Dead Kennedys

2) Eighties - Killing Joke

3) Glory Box - Portishead

4) Manic Monday - The Bangles

5) I Want To Take You Higher - Sly & The Family Stone

6) Teenage Depression - Eddie & the Hot Rods

7) Dude (Looks Like A Lady) - Aerosmith

8) Tide Is High, The - Blondie

9) Alison - Elvis Costello

10) Ooh La La - The Faces

Tricky this week: from No.6 downwards, I can't say there's anything I'm hugely fond of. :(

I quite like "The Tide Is High" - worse things happen at sea- but in my mind it always symbolises the demise of a band I had adored. :( :crazy:

(And John Holt's reggae original is infinitely preferable. :P )

I think it's a good idea to have the top tens more frequently. There's no good reason why we shouldn't have them more often.

I'm glad that you're so enthusiastic about the Ten, and maybe I could be convinced to do them more often, but you can't forget that there was a reason why we decided to a one week rhythm, I also have to say that I have some concerns about the shorter period...

eg are we going to loose participants, because some people aren't here for the one (two?) day nomination stage? you have to keep in mind that at the beginning we often had more than 60 nominations and in the last weeks we often had less than 50

also I often have to spend quite a bit time myself, just to listen to every song/video of the nominations - will I still have time for that?

anyway this is just my opinion - I always encourage a healthy discussion to improve things, so I'm interessted in your thoughts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there are still two is still one member left two vote (thanks, b-f) :)

:headphones:

I like the once a week top ten. There for a while it got to be a continuous cycle. It felt too rushed. I started to run out of songs to nominate, and I don't ever want to throw something out there that I don't 100% stand by. I have certain very intangible criteria that I go by when nominating. And then when I don't nominate, I feel guilty and I start to get well-intentioned PTs that somehow make me feel even worse. If it's more often than once a week, I might need to take a break from it.

thanks for the comments guys and gals, keep them coming :)

but for now (I think I waited long enough :P ):

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #53 for the week ending 11th March 2007

1. Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House (1986)

2. Marrakesh Express - Crosby, Stills & Nash (1969)

3. Boys of Summer - Don Henley (1984)

4. Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad? - Derek and the Dominos (1970)

5. Six Months In A Leaky Boat - Split Enz (1982)

6. Roll With It - Steve Winwood (1988)

7. She's So Cold - The Rolling Stones (1980)

8. Dude (Looks Like A Lady) - Aerosmith (1987)

9. Jackson - Johnny Cash and June Carter (1967)

10. Comes A Time - Neil Young (1978)

Comment Away Now!! :grin:

:headphones:

The Top Ten just drags out too much for me. In the early days we used to get through 6 a month and had a good rollout for each one.

I can't understand habitually late voters, unless there's a good reason.

I'm of an opposite opinion. The Tens start and finish too quick for me.

Anyway, I was a non-voter this time. I've been sick for the last couple days.

Lately, I don't know about half the songs. I could try to investigate them all, but, dare I say it, I do have other activities that I spend time on.