[Name] Lives!!!

Levis

I had a strange thought this afternoon.

I think Nirvana is overrated. I know people put up pictures of Kurt Cobain as their avatar on various networking sites and forum. They use lines like 'It's better to burn out than to fade away' in their signatures (or the equivalent). And this line is credited to Mr. Cobain's suicide note... not from Neil Young's "My, My, Hey, Hey." I've seen much worse - mostly aimed at the 27 club. Jim Morrison has his fair share of disproportionately crazed fans too.

To me, this obsession seems almost unhealthy. The thought that came to my mind was that this idol worship appears to be almost, if not entirely, a sort of sexual attraction. On the part of both sexes and in fact, more so on the part of the males.

What do you think?

I agree on both counts. I think Nirvana was great, but Kurt was certainly not the new Lennon.

I've never been a Doors fan, and have always thought that Jim Morrison's "poetry" was rubbish that people on acid "got". :)

But dying young gives you the advantage of not reaching the inevitable sucking point.

I think dying young does add a certain something to a musician's career...simply because they will always be remembered as a twenty or thirty-something, and not a fat and balding guy who still tours although he's lost his voice decades ago. Some will just be forgotten, though.

I know some people who really identify with Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison, they're the avatar-and-signature-type too, saying stuff like "I want to die at 27 too". That's certainly unhealthy, I think. In more ways than one. :P

The thought that came to my mind was that this idol worship appears to be almost, if not entirely, a sort of sexual attraction. On the part of both sexes and in fact, more so on the part of the males.

so you think that someone who "worships" Kurt Cobain wants to sleep with him, like a necrophile groupie? ( ;) )

And that applies for males more then for females?

I get the feeling they may not be averse to it. They appear to almost want to BE him. And the closest you can get to that is...

And I don't think the sexual aspect would be that much at all if he were still alive.

As for the girls, it's probably there too, but there it's so evident. I've known girls to say they're jealous of Courtney Love because she got to marry him. Girls will admit they have a crush on a rockstar. Boys won't.

I don't get it myself, this dead idol worship. Not just for Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison, but for Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, John Lennon, etc. I don't understand why people can get so worked up about someone they never met. I can understand feeling a connection to a person through their art, or admiring that person's work or what they stood for but beyond that, no.

The girls jealous of Courtney...that could just be a teenage thing. I remember fantasizing about the stars whose posters I had on my wall...of course they all were and are still alive, but still, it's a teenage girl fantasy thing. If these girls are 25 or 30 and still thinking like that...they've got problems.

Well, I, for one, can see how chicks can be jealous of an aging, slutty, balding, dispassionate, marginally talented, screaming, leeching, dirty crackwhore of a woman. She just radiates class, doesn't she?

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Oh, she does... :stars: she´s really the woman I´d love to be... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I don't bow down before effigies of Jim Morrison, I don't want to die at 27, I don't agree with his lifestyle choices, and I certainly am not sexually attracted to him. I just admire his songs and some of the things he stood for. I've never done acid, but I still like the way his writing flows. That's all. I like Kurt Cobain's writing too, but as a person, he was a sad heroin addict. And Jim was a sad addict too. But the music he and the Doors created has affected my life, and actually prevented me from doing harmful things to myself, rather than caused me to do these things. And that's why I admire his work. Not necessarily him as an all around person, but the things he contributed to music and songwriting in the long run. I can understand why somebody wouldn't like his poetry. I'd be stupid to say it all makes sense, because it doesn't. But it does something that makes me feel good, and that's all that really counts. Radhi is right in saying that the people that want to emulate these people in every way are pathetic. For one thing, their self-destructive ways are not something to admire. For another, I highly doubt that Jim, Kurt, Brian, Janis, Jimi, John and the rest would want their fans to be sheep.

Intriguing subject. I have always loved Stevie Nicks. I have never wanted to have sex with her. In fact, I am a little afraid of ever actually meeting her for fear that my admiration might be somehow tarnished if she was not having a good day and was perhaps inadvertently rude or short with me.

I have, however, thought it would be really cool to BE her because she is so talented, so beautiful, and looked upon so positively by her peers (at least in every comment I've ever read where someone has mentioned her).

Roger Clyne is another person I really admire. I think he's talented beyond belief, has more than his share of charisma, his sense of humor is beyond reproach, and when I have met him he's been nothing less than nice.

He's also hot. :googly: But while I admire him from afar (and oftentimes from close-up) I would NOT want to ever be physically involved with him, because I think the reality would prove far less appealing than the dream.

And I recognize my age and life experience has a lot to do with how I view these people. I can remember when I was a teenager being absolutely head-over-heels for some teen idol or another, thinking I would have to meet him or die trying. Now, not so much.

I don't bow down before effigies of Jim Morrison, I don't want to die at 27, I don't agree with his lifestyle choices, and I certainly am not sexually attracted to him. I just admire his songs and some of the things he stood for. I've never done acid, but I still like the way his writing flows. That's all. I like Kurt Cobain's writing too, but as a person, he was a sad heroin addict. And Jim was a sad addict too. But the music he and the Doors created has affected my life, and actually prevented me from doing harmful things to myself, rather than caused me to do these things. And that's why I admire his work. Not necessarily him as an all around person, but the things he contributed to music and songwriting in the long run.

:bow: :bow:

Well...maybe you should pick a better "dead hero." I wouldn't mind taking that last puddle jumper flight that ran into a tall tree and be remembered for songs about ordinary people. Yep, I'd light a candle for Jim Croce any time. Or one for Harry Chapin. Or one for Richie Valens. Or Buddy Holly. :afro: