Kurds Flourishing

Steel2Velvet

Saw an interesting piece on 60 Minutes last Sunday on how the Kurds in the northern part of Iraq (remember how Saddam used to treat those folks?) are flourishing economically, societaly secure and politically renewed as a result of the toppling of their once dictator. They are robustly building hospitals, planning schools of higher education, developing shopping centers and are realizing individual wealth due to employment opportunities and embracing a free market. English is taught in schools and while Islam is their preferred religion; tolerance and an integration of western European ideas are accepted and displayed openly. Women are well treated and families are enjoying the rewards of hopeful goals for the future. Not one Allied troop has been killed in this region of Iraq and the indiginous natives take their own security seriously by relying on stocking their own military with local patriots.

These people love the West. They also know that in this early growth stage of their reconstruction, should the buffering Allied Forces leave Iraq at this time, they would be slaughtered by an onrushing wave of Imam-directed jihadists who desire to force all of Iraq into a 12th century theocracy and want the oil found in this region, in order to fund their ambitions.

Just thought some news of success in Iraq would be nice .... for a change.

I also think that the Turks are not very happy about any success the Kurds may enjoy.

That is a fact, Marc. However, I feel it will be an eventual win/win situation for Turkey as well. The Turkish Kurds will eventually trickle back to the south (IF Iraq can be stabilized longterm) to participate in the success enjoyed by there Iraqi cousins, thus peacefully eliminating any uneasiness the Turkish government might be enduring through the Kurdish presence in Turkey.

Here is a link to the Kurds official website.

Had Saddam been left in power, this site would be nonexistant. If coalition forces were to unilaterally leave central Iraq, before indigenous political and military stability were to be further advanced; this website would too soon disappear from the internet, or at best, the tone would drastically change.

Ummm ... I think Songfacts could just about survive any eventuality . Afterall , they give away free t-shirts , at times , don't they ! Don't you mean 'thread' , Steel ? Cheers - and have another one- and I admire a decent non-sensical rant ! :cool: :thumbsup:

Just goes to show how simple it is to miscommunicate, Kevin. The words "This site ..." I referred to, in the post before yours, is the Kurdish site linked above that sentence. Had Saddam still been in power, the Kurdish site would likely be nonexistent.

:doh: :laughing: Sorry , Steel ! I guess I just read that too quickly ... :stars: :laughing: I often simply read the text of posts and ignore links completely unless I have time to check them out , and thus , my interpretation of your post . I must admit , it didn't 'sound' like something you'd say - but hey , I thought , we all have our moments of insanity or ridiculousness occasionally ( I - perhaps a little more in proportion to others ) ! :D