Name your favorite three new wave songs

JuniorNB

Yeah, that's the same reason I can never come up with a fitting response when someone asks me what my favorite grunge band is. I could say Nirvana, Pearl Jam, or Soundgarden, but since they don't really sound alike I've never understood how they ended up in the same category, other than that they came out of the same place and time.

Joe Jackson: Yes

Madness: No

(I think... ;) )

See what I mean about "new wave"? To one person, it means Nik Kershaw, to another Sonic Youth. :crazy:

Nik Kershaw, Sonic Youth, Sonic Kershaw, Nik Youth: they're almost one and the same aren't they?

To me at least, "new wave" is a late 70s phenomenon, with a similar timeline to its cousin, "punk-rock": say 1976 until 1979/80, possibly stretching into 1981/82.

But in any case, I would suggest Nik Kershaw was "pop", rather than "new wave". :P

(But that's just me, y'know...)

Edited by Guest
too much winking going on

"New Wave" was ( for me) rather a trend than a music style, though it took its name after the revival of simple pop and power-pop songs in the late 70s/early 80s. I would call Madness a "new wave" band (playing ska and other styles) cause that´s what they were in time.

yes, Nina Hagen is famous... Falco is Austrian but generally considered part of the NDW

maybe you know Nena (99 Luftballons) and Trio (Da, Da Da)?

I don't think many of it is known outside of Germany though, since most of the lyrics are in German (and a great part of the music isn't really that good anyway ;):P )

On reflection, yes, you could legitimately claim Madness as "new wave", because ultimately "new wave" can be used as an umbrella for anything at all that was perceived as "new" and "lively" between 1976 and 1980, including punk, not-quite-punk, new-wave/power-pop, mod-revival, Two-Tone/ska revival, post-punk, synth-pop/futurist/New Romantic, etc. The reason I stretched my timeline for new-wave as far as 1982 was a reflection of the continued popularity of certain bands readily identifiable as "new-wave" (e.g. Devo, B 52s, Talking Heads from the US, and The Teardrop Explodes, Echo And The Bunnymen, Simple Minds, Psychedelic Furs in the UK) By this time in the UK, things had become very "tribal" and categorised, so artists who might previously have been broadly termed "new-wave" would have had some other more specific tag attached to them. By 1982, one wouldn't refer to any new bands as "new-wave", they would be called something else. Hope this makes some sense?

I knew this topic would elicit a debate over what is new wave or not. It's always fun watching people try to classify different groups.

To me, the heavy use of synthesizers always signified the new wave movement. Problem with that was that you had groups like the Police, Blondie, and Elvis Costello who were practically unclassifiable. One song would sound punk and the next would be disco or new wave.

Some groups, like Depeche Mode, The Psychadelic Furs, New Order, ect. were definitely new wave, while others, like Howard Jones, The Hooters, or Simple Minds, were pop or rock bands that added some new wave characteristics.

Personally, I hate pigeon-holing a group into a certain niche. I have a very, very broad definition of new wave. I tend to look at much of the music from 79-83 as new wave.

This is what Wikipedia has to say about it new wave and this is a list of what they consider new wave artists. Of course, we all know to take Wikipedia with a grain of salt.

Actually, now that I've read this, it seems a pretty fair "in a nutshell" description of what "new wave" represents, and why UK and US perceptions of the genre appear to differ. For example: while early "pioneering" synthy-bands would usually qualify as "new-wave", in no way would the synth represent a defining feature: the vast majority of "new-wave" 1976-79 featured no synths at all.

The A-Z list of supposedly "new wave" artists demonstrates the sheer impossibility of the task of first clarifying the genre, then choosing three favourite tracks...

My "Neue Deutsche Welle" Top 3

"Eiszeit" - Ideal

"Da, Da, Da," - Trio

"99 Luftballons" - Nena

However, NDW was alot more "pop"-oriented than the new wave genre taken as a whole.

There are better songs by artists who were both a) German and B) new wave, but who nevertheless weren't "Neue Deutsche Welle", which was a sub-genre of its own (New German Wave, as opposed to German "new wave") Confused? If not, why not?

I believe that New Wave is more of an umbrella-term, which includes many musical subgenres from late '70's-early 80's, (eg. : post-punk, gothic rock, industrial, synthpop, indiepop, New Romantic... ) A lot of underground bands from that era were called New Wave (Tuxedomoon, The Cramps, Executive Slacks, ...), but also mainstream bands/artists like Duran Duran, Human League and Kim Wilde.

Of course the definition of New Wave varies from country to country. In the USA some singer-songwriters like Tom Petty were also considered New Wave. In Belgian most people think about Gothic rock when you talk about New Wave. I agree that (80's) Gothic Rock (Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy) is New Wave, but New Wave is more than gothic.

You can compare the term New Wave with the term 'Alternative' in the 90's.

Edited by Guest