Lets Talk Politics

PSYCHOcatholic

Lets Talk Politics

We will start off with Former Mayor of New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani of course we can jump around to maybe Senator Hillary Clinton, how about John McCain?

Who do you think will be the FINAL Two Presidential Candidates?

Other than that....just talk about whats goin on in the politics field of today!

You know...i hear that they wanna make Bill Clinton a Senator if Hillary gets President.

Oh...and on the poll...please choose one Republican and One Democrat.

I know there are more running, but i chose the top 4.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am rooting for Obama all the way.

If Hilary gets the nom, then I will vote for her, because it would also be cool to have a woman president. Still, I don't know if I like her too much

I used to like John McCain, but I don't know anymore. And Rudy????? I don't know. He may win the east coast, but do people around the country know him?

The debates will be interesting watching.

Jenny, you are right about Rudy. I do pay attention to politics, and all I really know about him is from 9/11. Yes, he handled that well, but anything else? Who knows?? As I said, Hillary scares me. She's no Bill. I thought Bill was a great president, and I know that she had a lot of input into his presidency, but will it work both ways?

I'll be studying them all...

I'd like to see Obama/McCain, so I can vote on the issues without feeling nauseous when either speaks (like I did with Bush/Kerry). Clinton is a political machine, and we don't need another one of those in power. Giuliani isn't too bad, but he has too many big business interests, and historically President's with big business interests end up being jackasses. The next presidential election will be the first I can vote in, so I'm looking forward to it.

The issues that will decide my vote are:

1-Social Security.

2-Medicare/medical assistance for the nation's uninsured. Medical Insurance reform.

3-Stem cell research.

4-A woman's right to choose.

5-A real plan and timetable for getting US troops out of Iraq. Not just criticizing a lame-duck president. Let's hear the plan.

6-A plan to overhaul the Dept. of Homeland Security aiming to protect US citizens without stripping us of our freedom and rights.

So far I've not heard nearly enough on those issues. We may know where most candidates stand on issues #3 and #4 and I've already eliminated candidates accordingly but on the rest I need to hear lots more.

Does the Dept. of Homeland Security do anything besides spin the color wheel every morning to tell us what color terror alert we're on today?

I just don't understand why a president from a party that's traditionally been against "big" government would create this department that doesn't have a clear purpose.

I'm almost stunned that you pay any attention to ANY of those alerts - and , infact , don't ask them to be removed - it's an army/ intelligence matter , afterall . Was there any alert on the day it mattered ? And just what exactly does 'joe -average' have to do on a day of high alert - act more suspiciously or hostily toward those who look 'not -quite-right ' , or something?

One almost thinks the Fed are trying to cover their asses insurance-wise , incase something happens . " Well , we DID , warn you , afterall ... $200.00 each sound fair ? "

I don't pay any attention to those alerts, but for a while, they announced them every morning on the radio. I don't think they even do them anymore. It seemed to be the only function of the Homeland Security Dept.

No, there was no alert on the day it mattered, Kevin. We didn't have these alerts then. This is most likely why we have this department. People in charge of finding out who wants to bomb us into oblivion......

Fair enough - but surely they were ' watching out for you all ' nearly as closely as they are now . My point is that since the nation - as a whole - is more aware - the danger has decreased signifigantly . By having your own sense of danger - you needn't rely on pointless campaigns solely innitiated by , and funded by , the government for security .

'That day' -horrible as it was - simply joined America into the horrors that many of the rest of the nations of the world have experienced for centuries . No one wants it repeated , granted - but it could be -but I have enough faith in the American spirit that , come what may , they will endure and overcome . the US can't be defeated in the sense that the 'enemy ' wants them to since their minds will , hopefully , always be progressive and forward thinking with the rights of mankind at the forefront -not fear and a retro-sense of destiny .

Edited by Guest

I, too, am very concerned with our future candidates' views on stem cell research. It amuses me that some people against it seem to think you harvest these cells, let them sit for a while, and bam, you have a person. Having worked with stem cells (ferret, not human, this was a military facility after all), I know first hand that this is as far from the truth as it gets. Stem cells are not people, and they will never be people. And our next president had better not be so intent on halting scientific progress.

I want a leader who will lead us into the 21st century, not take us back 50 years. I want more Americans voting. It is distressing to see a 45% turnout to pick our President. I also want less partisanship and more results from our leaders. But, most importantly I want them working for the American people and not some special interest that is lining their pockets with cash.