"tainted love" (where did our love go) The Doors...

rynegold

anyone got a clue what album this was on? Its a knockoff of the Supremes' "where did our love go" and has this strange lyric "comes in a can" is repeated over and over. Also, any historical help/idea as to what Morrison and the band were thinking (or not thinking...) when they recorded this.

tia, mitch

Edited by Guest

I had no idea The Doors had touched either of these songs. If it's any help, (though I suspect it isn't), Soft Cell's breakthrough hit single cover version of "Tainted Love" was backed by a rendition of "Where Did Our Love Go?". I seem to recall a 12" extended version that medleyed the two songs. I may even have cut a rug to it at the student disco, many moons ago.

Maybe Soft Cell were more influenced by The Doors than we thought???

Tainted Love was not originally by Soft Cell; it was originally done by a soul singer named Gloria Jones (girlfriend of T Rex's Marc Bolan) in 1964

I wiki'd the song, and though it was covered by Marylin Manson and recently sampled by Rhianna, The Doors were not listed among the artists who have covered the song.

Alright, maybe I'm remembering something that didn't happen but I remember a version of the song with the added lyrics "comes in a can" added and sung by someone, if not, Jim Morrison. I have done acid but not when I heard this rendition. I fact, I heard it more than once an both times it was on a Pacifica station KPFT Houston.....

this is driving me nuts... I'm going skiing

... but I remember a version of the song ...

But which song? "Tainted Love" or "Where Did Our Love Go?" ? Under normal circumstances, they're totally different songs.

As far as I knew, Soft Cell were the first to recognise a stylistic similarity between the two songs, cover both of them and segue their cover versions into one song. It seemed a novel idea at the time.

It's so intriguing that The Doors, (or somebody else), may have pursued exactly the same concept, with the same two songs, (by mere happenstance?).

We must get to the bottom of this one. :beatnik: