The Songfactors Choice Top Ten #51

Lucky

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:doh: this can only work for non-German speakers

nobody would believe that a band called "Beowülf", "Blöödhag" or "Hüsker Dü" - pronounced with Umlaut - would sound like blodness and strength (the opposite is true) :laughing:

Unlike the other bands mentioned, Husker Du have every right to use umlauts in their name, since that is the correct spelling of the words involved. (It's only a shame I can't spell their name correctly every time I mention them, having no umlaut on my keyboard. :( )

The phrase "Husker Du?" means "Do you remember?" in Swedish, fact fans.

Unlike the other bands mentioned, Husker Du have every right to use umlauts in their name, since that is the correct spelling of the words involved. (It's only a shame I can't spell their name correctly every time I mention them, having no umlaut on my keyboard. :( )

sorry to prove you wrong, but:

Minneapolis punk pioneers of the 1980s, Hüsker Dü, whose name comes from a Danish board game (the original game does not have umlauts). The name of the board game comes from the Danish interrogative clause "Husker du?" (without Umlaut), which means "Do you remember?" ('you' = second person singular, not plural)

:)

Fascinating, Farin. Thank you very much for correcting me. (Another restless night awaits) :crazy:

The name of the game is spelled with macrons to lend an exotic Scandinavian feel, a practice later adopted by Häagen-Dazs ("zs" actually being unique to Polish and Hungarian), Frusen Glädjé, and the like. (In actuality, no Scandinavian language is spelled with macrons.) The game was also the source of the name of the Minneapolis punk rock band Hüsker Dü, replacing the macrons with umlauts (maybe inspired by heavy metal umlauts).

At least, there apparently should have been some form of accent over those vowels,(macrons: a single line over the vowel, (or a double dot??) but Lord only knows what its implications for pronunciation are....) in order to correspond with the name of the Scandinavian board game...but they changed the accents to umlauts in the interests of "rock credibility". Or to take the pi$$, perhaps?

Fans of fact may prefer to ignore the post quoted above.

Fans of ill-informed speculation may like to give it the once-over, however.

Summing up....

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

Top Ten #51 for the week ending 25th February 2007

1. La Grange - ZZ Top (1973)

2. Gimme Little Sign - Brenton Wood (1967)

3. Catch The Wind - Donovan (1965)

4. Killing In The Name - Rage Against The Machine (1992)

5. It's Still Rock And Roll To Me - Billy Joel (1980)

6. Alfie - Dionne Warwick (1967)

7. Me And Julio Down By The School Yard - Paul Simon (1972)

8. Janie's Got A Gun - Aerosmith (1989)

9. Fire - Pointer Sisters (1978)

10.Sweet Baby James - James Taylor (1972)

NOMINATIONS FOR TOP TEN #52 ARE NOW OPEN !!!