The Songfactors Choice Top Ten #51

Lucky

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I didn't vote for either, so it's probably none of my business, but I find the notion that Billy Joel's "It's Still Rock'n'Roll to Me" is a better song than "The First Cut Is The Deepest" laugh-out-loud absurd.

That the same song ranked so far ahead of its approximate contemporary "Atomic" confirms the gaping chasm between the conservative tastes of the Songfacts majority and my own.

I love that La Grange made it. Half to 3/4 of ZZTop's music is just fun rock having to do with girls and sex, but so what? La Grange is a fun song to shake your booty to. Great guitar riff and that "haw haw haw haw"...I don't know, it's just fun.

I also think it's cool that RATM made it, even though I'm not a fan of theirs.

I did listen to every song that was nominated this time, and even if I didn't put some in my 10, I got introduced to some great songs and great artists.

Even though it's not my favorite Billy Joel song, I'm glad he's in again, too.

I'd have to say Namahage's got good taste in tunes . At best , I thought it may grab 8th or 9th ...

My thoughts are more in line with Jenny's , though . As songs go , I would consider " La Grange " a light to middleweight at best - certainly not among the usual 'monster' #1's that usually win . It's just a fun , catchy little ditty that most people who like blues/rock can agree is pretty good . It is often overlooked when people consider ZZ Top , as most people tend to recall the group during their time in the MTV years and those songs and videos - not my favorites really , either .

Rather than being pleased that I nominated it , I'm more glad to see that such a song can top the list occasionally . As I've mentioned before , I tend to nominate /vote for songs that , at that time , are on my mind or that I find myself humming around the house , or cause a little nostalgia rather than thinking deeply about it or considering them in terms of ' rock ' relevance or sophistocation , or what have you . Thus, I often will overlook a clearly 'superior ' song for a more whimsical choice if it strikes a chord with me at that time . This , I've thought , is the perfect place for the 'under- the-radar ' types to get recognition they normally wouldn't .

" Viva los underdogs ! " :) :cool: :thumbsup:

Good interview, bazooka. Gimme Little Sign and the Oogum Boogum Song (thanks Phil) are the only ones I know of his at all. I have them both on one of my many 60s Compilations somewhere.

I wish I knew enough about computers to do a 'spread sheet' of all the nominations since Top Ten #1. I hope I voted for it when Joe nominated it. ***

I'm a bit like Kevin. When I'm voting, I think 'which ones would I like to hear right now'? - not necessarily 'which are the best songs'.

Really, I think the best song out of those 50 nominations is 'Total Eclipse Of The Heart', often dismissed as a "Chick" song. It reminds me in parts of a Phil Spector/Wall of Sound production.

:)

*** I did - at #3 after my 2 Nominations. :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
VOTED FOR IT !