Van Halen...explodes.....

Sweet Jane 61

with music that is....

With the announcement that David Lee Roth will reunite with Van Halen for their first tour together in 23 years, naturally the band is rehearsing and getting reacquainted. But in an interview with Rolling Stone that will hit news stands on February 23, Roth says it is basically like he never left the fold.

"Eddie [Van Halen] and I wrote the songs, every note, every syllable, as if we invented a language that only we can speak," Roth explains in the interview. "It was an easy, natural thing. When you speak a language that you both created, it’s natural to go, 'I know you.' So it was very easy. There wasn’t any stumble at all. I just showed up, and 20 minutes later, it was the usual, 'How’s the wife, how’s the kids, let’s play.' When you’re born to do that language, you speak it naturally. I never forgot it."

He also says the chemistry in the band is "combustible" and that, "There’s an explosive sound there that is, perhaps, unless you were there, which most folks weren’t, than you may have forgotten." And as for whether the reunion will be permanent rather than a one-summer deal, Roth says, "God willing, and the creek don’t run dry, just like Grandma Roth used to say. Barring any act of God or Ferrari…yeah. I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque."

As previously reported, Van Halen is set to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on March 12, and they will do a 40-show tour this summer. The current lineup of the band features three members of the Van Halen family, including Eddie, his brother Alex on drums and his son Wolfgang on bass.

and this just in...

GARY CHERONE FINE WITH EXCLUSION FROM VAN HALEN ROCK HALL INDUCTION

When Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next month, the honorees will include Eddie and Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony, and David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar -- but not Gary Cherone. Cherone recorded one album with the group and toured with them, and he doesn't mind that his name isn't on the citation. On the message board on his official cherone.com website, the singer wrote, "To answer the few fans who are wondering whether I should, or shouldn't be included? While yes, I was a small part of their history, I was certainly not a part of their legend, and that is what WE, the fans, are celebrating!"

Cherone also had kind words for Van Halen. He wrote, "It was only a matter of time before the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame recognized one of the greatest and most influential rock bands of all time, whose guitar player changed the course of rock and roll! Congratulations to my friends Alex, Eddie, Michael, Dave, and Sammy... The mighty Van Halen! An incredible honor."

The Rock Hall induction ceremony takes place March 12th at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City. Also being honored at the event are Patti Smith, R.E.M., Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, and the Ronettes.

In related news, blabbermouth.net is reporting that the band's Roth-era greatest-hits album has been postponed again. Best Of (1978-1984) was originally supposed to come out March 13th, the day after the Rock Hall ceremony, and then was moved to March 27th. Now, it's been delayed again, and won't be released until April 3rd.

Copyright © 2001-2007 Emmis Interactive