Al Gore and Rock and Roll, what would Tipper Say??

Sweet Jane 61

Former Vice President Al Gore announced today that he has helped organize a group of giant concerts, dubbed Live Earth, to raise awareness about global warming. The concerts are set up similar to Live 8, as they will all take place on July 7 — 7/7/07 — in seven cities: London, Shanghai, Sydney, Johannesburg, and cities to be determined in Brazil, Japan and the United States. Snoop Dogg, Pharrell, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Eyed Peas, Bon Jovi, Fall Out Boy, Akon, Lenny Kravitz, John Legend, Kelly Clarkson, John Mayer, Foo Fighters, KoRn, AFI and Sheryl Crow are among the artists who have already signed on. More will be announced at a later date and over 100 artists in total are expected to perform.

The events, which will combine film, music and televised material, are expected to reach an audience of more than 2 billion people. Microsoft's MSN will broadcast the concert on the Internet, and NBC-Universal, Sirius and XM Satellite Radio also will take part, according to the Financial Times. In the U.K., the BBC will broadcast the event.

The announcement was made today by Cameron Diaz, Gore, Pharrell and concert organizer Kevin Wall (who also organized Live 8) at a press conference at the California Science Center. Concert proceeds will go to fund The Alliance for Climate Protection, a movement chaired by Gore. The organizers also plan to use only electricity from renewable sources, employ recycling and biodegradable materials where possible, and offset travel via carbon credits.

British band Muse also recently spoke to London's XFM about the event, saying that they were invited to play. Drummer Dom Howard explained, “We’ve been asked, there's gonna be something happening, some big global gig. It's happening in seven continents, around the world, all on the seventh [of July] in 24 hours, and there’s going to be loads of bands playing. That's all I know.†When asked if Muse would like to take part, singer Matt Bellamy added, “We’re thinking about it, there’s an issue, we’ll see how it goes. We’ve got a gig on that same day, in Ireland you see, so we need to work out if we can make it or not

Which cause? Censorship? I'm against it, but hey, I guess I can see why a mother might be for it. I just don't think it should be up to Senators what musicians are allowed to say and not say.

the concert is for the Global Warming awareness, Liz. That's the cause I was referring to.

It's all about politics. Al Gore wants to look good so why not get involved with Global Warming issues. Now mind you I am a democrat, but considering it's Gore and his wife's views on rock and roll, it just stinks. Maybe Tipper will get up on stage and shake her booty, ya think??

You seem to suggest Al Gore is Johnny-Come-Lately.

In fact, he was introduced to global warming issues by one of his college professors, Roger Revelle.

The efforts of Tipper Gore and the PMRC were moronic but not malicious. The "Tipper Sticker" has long ago been mocked into meaninglessness.