2007 Grammy Thoughts

Carl

I watched a Tivo version of The Grammys, which means I will never go back to watching it live. The ability to zip through the Dixie Chicks' acceptance speeches makes it the only way to see the show (unless you could gather a bunch of friends and drink every time someone says "Rick Rubin"). Here, in no particular order, are my thoughts on the show. Feel free to post yours as well:

1) How did the Stevie Wonder/Tony Bennett mashup beat out the U2/Mary J version of "One," which might be the most compelling track of 2006, other than "Crazy," which also got shafted? Mary J won pretty much everything else, you'd think she'd get this one.

1a) Stevie Wonder, who is music royalty, was clearly moved by the win, and we found out why when he dedicated the award to his mother, who died about 8 months ago. Instead of excercising some integrity and walking off stage, Bennett grabs the mic and proceeds to thank - his sponsor. Yes, he gave a shout-out to Target after Stevie honored his mom. Later in the show, we found out that Bennett is 80 years old, meaning he's either suffering from a touch of senility or just really greedy.

2) I read that the Oscars are going to be "Thank Free," meaning no "thank-you"s in the speeches. If this is true, it's the best idea ever - better than the Patriots taking Brady in the sixth round, better than the "Pants off dance off" on Fuse TV - and will force the winners to say something of substance. Hearing a list of record executives and producers is about as compelling as sitting through the credits of a movie to find out who the production coordinator was. We need more substance, like this diddy from Mary J, who looked truly overwhelmed in her speeches and gave the greatest performance of the night:

"We can't have a peak if we don't have a valley, and it's in the valleys when we find out who we really are."

3) Al Gore will be the next president of the United States.

4) The real winner was Simon Fuller, creator of American Idol, which last year trounced the Grammys in the ratings. This year, the Grammys make sure they're not on against Idol, and do a "vote for" gimmick to decide who gets to sing with JT. When Carrie Underwood wins, she thanks Fuller and gushes about American Idol. She knows where her bread is buttered.

5) Doesn't it cheapen the "Lifetime Achievement Award" when you give one out after every commercial, then go right into a real award? There's just something sad about seeing a legendary Jazz player get 20 seconds of love followed by the nominees for "Best Country Performance."

6) Did Prince really buy an ad thanking me for watching the Super Bowl halftime show? That was a Tivo-stopper.

7) The Esquire sexiest woman alive was subjected to the worst scripted banter ever:

Don Henley: "I hear you're coming out with an album."

Scarlett: "Yes, any advice?"

DH: "No."

Seriously, that was it. It was worse than anything Tyra Banks was forced to say at any ESPYs, and even worse than Luke Wilson admitting he was just taking up space on stage. Think about this - someone had to write that. I realize this is CBS, where "King Of Queens" is on the air, but that's not even a joke. I just don't see how that can be funny to anyone.

Record of the Year: Not Ready to Make Nice- The Dixie Chicks

Now I'll admit it. I like the Dixie Chicks. I have since they came out. But their new album is nothing special. And "Crazy", one of the most innovative songs of the year was in this category. Not cool. Stop hawking the political stuff, Grammys.

Album of the Year: Taking the Long Way- The Dixie Chicks

Seriously, can anyone tell me what's so special about this album besides the Chicks f--- you attitude towards President Bush and country music fans, the people that made them famous to begin with (country music fans, not Bush)? St. Elsewhere and Stadium Arcadium were far more ambitious, creative, and just plain awesome albums.

Song of the Year: Not Ready to Make Nice- The Dixie Chicks

I'm done ranting about the Dixie Chicks.

Best New Artist: Carrie Underwood

I actually sort of like Carrie Underwood. Generally, the people that come out of American Idol annoy me, but Carrie had released some solid country music. Cliche-filled country music, but solid nonetheless. Plus, my little sister loves her, so she had my vote.

Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: My Humps- Black Eyed Peas

I Will Follow You Into the Dark is a great song. My Humps is an incredibly annoying song. I Will Follow You Into The Dark is by an indie band with a nerdy lead singer. My Humps is by a major hip hop band with a very curvy singer and a decent producer. I Will Follow You Into the Dark should have won, but I knew it wouldn't

Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals: For Once in my Life- Tony Bennett and Stevie Wonder

Hey, its Tony Bennett and Stevie Wonder. I won't argue.

Best Pop Vocal Album: Continuum- John Mayer

I'm not a fan, but he's a fairly good guitarist, so it's nice to see someone win pop vocal album who actually plays an instrument too. I would have liked to see Elvis Costello win this one, but I'm ok with Mayer getting it.

Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance: Someday Baby- Bob Dylan

Now this was a solid category. Anybody could have won. But Dylan is a God, so his divine influence guaranteed the win.

Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals: Dani California- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Another one that was wide open for me, but the Chili Peppers were probably the obvious choice.

Best Hard Rock Performance: Woman- Wolfmother

Woman isn't even the best Wolfmother song. If Joker and the Thief was nominated, I would have agreed with this, but Buckcherry and SOAD had better songs nominated.

Best Metal Performance: Eyes of the Insane- Slayer

I didn't even realize Slayer was still around...

Best Rock Song: Dani California- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Snow is so much better, but Dani got the publicity, plus the cool music video. Actually, I think Lookin' For A Leader was the best song in this category, but I still love the Chili Peppers.

Best Rock Album: Stadium Arcadium- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Replace Try with Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not and you have a perfect category.

Best Alternative Album: St. Elsewhere- Gnarls Barkley

That version of Crazy during the show was, well, crazy! I hope that Gnarls Barkley doesn't disappear anytime soon.

Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group: Ridin- Chamillionaire

The Roots are so much cooler than Chamillionaire. And White and Nerdy is so much cooler than Ridin.

Best Rap Album: Release Therapy- Ludacris

I like Ludacris, but the Roots should have had this one too.

Best Female Country Vocal Performance: Jesus Take the Wheel- Carrie Underwood

The country scene is more stagnant than I thought if it take an American Idol to create a great song. Before He Cheats is a better Carrie song, though.

Best Male Country Vocal Performance: The Reason Why- Vince Gill

The songs in this category are ridiculously sappy. Where has the fun country music gone?

Best Country Performance by a Group or Duo: Not Ready to Make Nice- The Dixie Chicks

Didn't they recently disown themselves from the entire genre of country? What is this?

Best Country Song: Jesus Take the Wheel- Carrie Underwood

Like Red on a Rose is better.

Best Country Album: Taking the Long Way- The Dixie Chicks

They're not country!

Edited by Guest
Tried to make it easier to read.

My favorite part was when the Dixie Chicks won best album and thanked their songwriters and musicians. Um...then what are they there for? Seriously, wouldn't it be cool if we had an awards show for musicians? If we did, I think TV On the Radio might have won album of the year. "Return to Cookie Mountain" wasn't necessarily my favoritre of the year (it's not even in my top 10 of 2006), but from a critical and more objective standpoint, it's probably the best album of the year. It should have at least been nominated, but then, it's the grammys.

Gnarls Barkley's live performance of Crazy with the orchestra was a little different than expected....

Congrats to the Chili Peppers & Slayer on their grammy wins...

Rascal Flatts & Carrie Underwood did a pretty impressive job covering the Eagles (Hotel California, Desperado, Life in the Fast Lane). The ending solo on Hotel California is a tough job to handle...

TheLizard, I enjoyed reading that recap. I agree with most of what you said...

I thought the entire Eagles tribute was awful. The Rascal Flatts singer is horrible! Underwood wasn't too bad, but the guy from the Rascal Flatts simply was not up to par.

James Blunt was pretty crappy as well.

I thought the best performance was the medley of Corrinne Bailey Rae, John Legend and John Mayer.