Movies To See

In heaven

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you really understand the definition of art and think of movies as art not entertainment these movies are for you.

Art and Entertainment are never mutually exclusive.

Y'all should take a look at these intelligent films and these extraordinary directors.

Limbo (1999) Written, Directed & Edited by John Sayles.

In Cold Blood (1967) Directed by Richard Brooks.

Night of the Hunter (1955) Directed by Charles Laughton. Based on the novel by Davis Grubb.

Double Indemnity , Sunset Boulevard .. Director: Billy Wilder

Psycho , Rear Window , Vertigo .. Alfred Hitchcock.

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) John Frankenheimer.

Doctor Strangelove (1964) Stanley Kubrick.

Now, That's Entertainment!

Nice list Tybalt, I enjoyed every one.

Inheaven, you asked me what films I liked. There are many but here's just a few that are in the same genre of the thread's topic:

The Falls 1980

Drowning by Numbers 1988

A Zed & Two Noughts 1985

The Last Temptation of Christ 1988

La Cabina 1972

The Phantom of Liberty 1974

The Holy Mountain 1973

Week-End 1967

The Exterminating Angel 1962

Requiem for a Dream 2000

Hellraiser 1987

I think I need to verify myself and then I will go to bed.

Brittany Spears = Entertainer

Lou Reed = Artist

Joe Millionaire = Entertainment

Twin Peaks = Art

Not that art is void of entertainment just free of the lowest denominator of entertainment. Like when you watch a movie and you know how its going to end, any movie that involves a hot actress playing a maid/hooker/nerd/etc... that meets a rich/cool/powerful/etc... guy who falls in love with her. His friends will usually be against it blahblahblah.... or like on the new commercials for BIG BROTHER they are saying (in my movie guy voice) two people in the house are brother and sister and they dont even know about each other. What that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard that isn't reality its fake and people fall for it all the time. If you like the show turn away because I'am going to ruin it for you. They will end up liking each other not in a nasty way but they will be on a team or alliance whatever they call it on that show and I bet you a million dollars they will be the last two like it will be against them for the money(if they do the show like that). Then after they find outwho won they will tell them they are related they will cry and then the one who lost will say something about how she is a winner to get know her brother/sister junk like that the end. Do you think that is reality.

Twin Peaks = a sometimes clever, entertaining soap opera masquerading as something substantial and purposeful, as much art as St. Elsewhere.

But I agree with Mindcrime -- David Lynch's Lost Highway (1997) is a most skillful tag-along on a dream. It 's superior to the critical success Mullholland Dr.(2001).

Where does the movie Momento (2000. Directed by Christopher Nolan) fit?

Artful entertainment?

like Jaws(1975 .. Steven Speilberg)

or The Omen (1976 .. Richard Donner)

well, ok...but you'll have to buy me a few drinks first.

:laughing:

I love both Adam Sandler and Emily Watson but that was a very strange movie. I saw it on pay-per-view and missed the first minute. I spent the entire movie thinking I must have missed a very relevant scene in that first minute that would make the whole movie come together. I rented it and watched the first minute. I hadn't missed a thing.

:stars:

I found the line about wanting to pop out his eyeballs and roll them around in her mouth (paraphrasing here) to be quite odd for a love scene. The movie was very slow & when it was over I was left wondering what I had missed, even after I saw the first minute! My only thought was, "Well, I'm glad they found each other because they each would have a tough time finding another person who can love him/her." I did feel sorry for Adam Sandler's character b/c his sisters mis-treated him.

From the Back Cover of "The Boondock Saints"

"Thou shalt not kill. It's the one commandment they cannot keep. Tough, stylish and extreme, fans of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction will thrill to the action, intensity and intelligence of this modern day morality tale written in blood. Starring Willem Dafoe (The English Patient), Sean Patrick Flanery (Powder), and Norman Reedus (8MM).

When the sadistic Russian mob starts muscling in on their South Boston Irish neighborhood, Connor and Murphy McManus know what must be done. Feeling that the vengeance of God is flowing through their veins, they set out to rid the streets of gangsters, criminals and lowlifes. As the body count rises, the brothers became local heroes. Now, one unorthodox FBI agent must be cunning enough to bring them down."

This makes it sound cheesy - whoever did this synopsis for the jacket needs to meet the "sadistic Russian mob." :googly:

For a long time the movie wasn't even distributed in the U.S. I just happened to pick it up at Blockbuster and, after watching it, bought an import from amazon.com. Now there's an American version out there, but I'm not sure how it differs from the original. I do know there's an "R" rated version and a "NC-17" rated version.

Check it out, it's excellent (just overlook that part about it being available at Blockbuster. . .) ::

I know that whenever I need a good laugh all I

need to watch is "Dumb and Dumber."

Loyd: "So why you goin' to the airport...flyin' somewhere?"

Mary: How'd you guess?

Loyd: "I saw your luggage...then when I saw the airline

ticket and put two and two together"

Loyd: So where you headed?

Mary: Aspen.

Loyd: MMmmmm...Californina...beautiful.

Loyd: This isn't my real job ya know?

Mary: No?

Loyd: Nooope, me and my friend Harry are saving our

money to open our own pet store...

I GOT WORMS!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• 3 weeks later...

Eraserhead: Seen it.

Brazil: Own it

El Topo: Just got it a couple of days ago along with Holy Mountain.

Pink Flamingos: Ew! Seen it.

Un Chein Andalou: Good Surrealist flick.

The Exterminating Angel: Better than the other Bunuel stuff I've seen.

Crumb: I don't like his comics, so I never had interest in this film...

Here's what I'd recommend to film lovers. If you've seen it - watch it again!

The Nights Of Cabiria by Federico Fellini

The 400 Blows by Francois Truffaut

Liquid Sky by Slava Tsukerman

The Bird With The Crystal Plummage by Dario Argento

Malizia by Salvatore Samperi

Flesh by Paul Morrissey

Blow Out and Dressed To Kill by Brian DePalma

Slacker and Before Sunrise by Richard Linklater

Let me see millions. I dont think I know 5 people that have saw these movies and I go to FullSail a school that has thousands of future film directors.

That's a sad statement for a school full of future film directors.

For a long time the movie wasn't even distributed in the U.S. I just happened to pick it up at Blockbuster and, after watching it, bought an import from amazon.com. Now there's an American version out there, but I'm not sure how it differs from the original. I do know there's an "R" rated version and a "NC-17" rated version.

Check it out, it's excellent (just overlook that part about it being available at Blockbuster. . .) ::

This is generally true for crap being rented out at Lackluster Video and DVDs sold at Wal-Mart. They will rent and sell you the censored versions of a lot of films.