Movies To See

In heaven

This is for true movie fans not you people who think "Varsity Blues" is a classic. This is for you people who are tired of the same old thing they spoon feed us now.

This for you people who want to see something different and want a movie to make you think not think for you.

I only said this stuff as stupid as it seems to make sure there would be no confusion because these movies arent for everybody but if you really understand the definition of art and think of movies as art not entertainment these movies are for you. I wish somebody would have done this for me so here it is in no order.

Eraserhead

Brazil

El Topo

Pink Flamingos

Un Chein Andalou

The Exterminating Angel

Crumb

There are more but check these out if you want more just write.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me see millions. I dont think I know 5 people that have saw these movies and I go to FullSail a school that has thousands of future film directors. He also did Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart and The Straight Story. He is one of my favorite directors

Who hasn't seen Eraserhead or Pink Flamingos?

The "Surfing Bird" song scene from 'Flamingos; is it art, is it funny, brilliant, or just gross? I never could decide. I could have done without the final scene with Divine and the little dog. Apparently it was memorable as I haven't seen the movie for almost 15 years. John Waters, misunderstood genius or just a weirdo?

Call me crazy but I can still watch David Cronenberg's "Crash." It was on a movie channel years ago and caught my interest. 'Showcase' have shown it a couple or more times and again, I've watched it. I can't really say I like the film but I do admire it.

I think Pink Flamingos is art and a little of a gross out. It does something to you you cant forget and when it comes to the scene with the dude and his butthole it makes feel something even if it is sick it makes you feel. Movies dont do that anymore they want to think and feel for you.

A few more suggestions:

Mystery Train (1990) Written and Directed by Jim Jarmusch. Three stories from the Arcade Hotel linked by a gunshot. Features Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Steve Buscemi, and the Ghost of Elvis.

Also recommended is Jarmusch's Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (2000) starring Forest Whitaker. I enjoyed Ghost Dog's "conversations" with the ice cream man.

Completely strange is Motorama (1991). Written by Joseph Minion. Directed by Barry Shils. Go uninformed into this alternate universe fable. Watch it once and pass it on. With all too brief appearances by Flea, Meat Loaf, Garrett Morris, Micheal J. Pollard, Vince Edwards and Drew Barrymore.

Here's my opinion on "true movies" lol

Abstract art, or in this case, movies, is nothing more than a cover-up of no talent. It's so easy to take a crap on film or canvas and call it art. Trying to make sense of someone's morbid desires is basically giving up the knowledge of distinguishing what is good and what is bad. Movies such as Naked Lunch can always be defended by the originator as being art. Yeah. Art today is comprised of talentless, uncreative charlatans that have a huge market of rich idiots. Just because something is different and "shocking" doesn't make it art. Tasteless yes, art, no.

But, people have their own interpretation of art. To many, crap is beautiful.

The ironic thing is that people that have appreciation for crap actually think abstract is better than true talent. People today put the art label on just about anything. The word art today has virtually no meaning. It's anything that can be conjured for someone to think that only they understand it.

Sad.

Its an opinion, MT, but I dont find myself agreeing.

First off, Naked Lunch was not a particularly good movie. But, as you are no doubt aware, William Burroughs' novel is hardly the easiest book to turn into a film. The book is very strange and not to everyone's taste, but that doesn't automatically make it bad art.

I'd say that VERY few movies can be classified as abstract in the same way that a painting can be. Even directors like Bunuel mainly made films with a logical story to them. Abstract pieces like Un Chien Andalou are regarded as classics because they were so innovative. Its the same reason that Citizen Kane is called a classic...no-one had shot a movie that looked quite like that before, but its not in any real way an abstract movie.

Of course, crap is just crap. Whether or not YOU think any piece of art is crap is YOUR opinion, and you are entitled to it. But because someone else may take the opposite view doesn't mean they MUST be wrong. The asthethic appeal of anything is in the eye ( or in the ear in the case of music) of the beholder.

Whether or not YOU think any piece of art is crap is YOUR opinion, and you are entitled to it.

Thanks for entitling me to what isn't yours.

Here's my opinion on "true movies" lol

Since you didn't understand this I felt the need to provide it again.

My opinions stand. You don't agree, fine.

So, maybe now you'll realize that my opinions are wrong to you but not to me.

Very good.

I'm not politically correct, you see? I realize that there are people in this world that can't have an orgasm unless someone literally craps upon them. Now, it's right for the crapee, but my friend, it's not right for me and I think it's sick.

In this world today, people are becoming more and more intrigued by tasteless crap. I say fine. But, I'll never agree with it. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. The same can be said about crap.

Always will, to fewer and fewer.

Since when has being PC had anything to do with the judgement of the worth of art? Believing in the right to hold opposing opinions was always what you guys refer to as " The American Way" and the rest of us as plain common sense. .

People aren't becoming more and more intrigued by whatever you choose to describe as 'tasteless crap' ...they've always have been intrigued. Anything beyond the normal is almost by definition intriguing, and will always bring in an audience. It may not have much intrinsic value, and if it doesn't it wont be around for very long. So what's the problem?

Who is name calling? You're the one who aked what was the problem. Sorry that you cannot understand that I haven't one.

I never said that a person couldn't produce crap. I said it was not for me. It's not a problem I assure you. I believe you are not interpreting my intentions to my posts as well as my points.

All I can say is when I started getting into movies you call crap I had been force fed bland movies, music, and art and I got tired of it. Well is Picasso crap? Why can't movies be able to do what paintings can do? why can't music do it too? Go listen to Creed and watch Varsity Blues and feel comfortable.

What do you consider true talent?

Do you know that Eraserhead and Pink Flamingos are more than 30 years old and people still talk about it today.

Un Chein Andalou is more than 60 years old and has two songs written about it(Sweet Dreams by The Eurithmics(sp) and Debaser by The Pixies). I know that probably doesn't mean anything to you but sometimes beauty can't be judged by how easy it is to swallow.