The Songfactors' Choice Golden Top Ten #50

Farin

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it might be time to have another ' Nominate only Artists who haven't been in the Top Ten before'. Maybe for #52 ?

I don't need any convincing to agree to that :)

#49 (our first try with that) was the best Top Ten, musical wise, we had in a long time - maybe ever :)

We could have a Beatles top ten? Or a 90's top ten? As long as it wasn't special top ten overkill

not a bad idea in principle, but I guess there would only be about 10 people who'd want to participate... :P :crazy:

Farin, it tells us that you have a mind of your own and don't just vote blindly for Kiddy Time FM songs. [...] 'Be Bop A Lula' just missed out !

am I the only one who thinks that this sentence is extremely funny? :grin: :jester:

Be-Bop-A-Lula is not Kiddy Rock, Martin. It is a 50s Classic. You should be able to tell that from the title ! :thumbsup:

What I call 'Kiddy Rock' is the kind that is fed to the youngsters as a staple diet on FM stations that only play 8 to 20 minute songs for the DJ to snooze by, or make out with his Personal Assistant. Or the music is automatically programmed.

:shades:

So, we're up for a 'regular Top Ten' #51 and an 'Artists/Groups who haven't made it before' in #52 ? Great stuff, except I'd bet my last dollar that at least one person messes up a nomination. Possibly me, like last time.

:jester:

How about a top 10 with NO songs by any artists that have been nominated before ... ( ducking from the logistical nightmare that would likely ensue ) - Dappled could keep us on the straight and narrow , though ! :D :thumbsup:

well, I don't have all the data - only the one from the last 35 Top Tens

but after a quick estimation that alone would be about 1000 different artists...

I'm already looking forward to writing PTs... :laughing:

what I mean is: it certainly DOES sound very interesting, but it could also get a very frustrating experience (not just for us, but also for people who get 6 PTs to please change their nominations). you know what I mean? :)

What I call 'Kiddy Rock' is the kind that is fed to the youngsters as a staple diet on FM stations that only play 8 to 20 minute songs for the DJ to snooze by, or make out with his Personal Assistant. Or the music is automatically programmed.

thanks for clearing that up, I don't think we have many stations like that here - I know none anyway...

I reckon if Strawberry Fields Forever is nominated for the next top ten (and no other Beatles songs), it will make #1. That's just how much effect vote splitting has had on this top ten. Not that it stopped STH. :)

I might not have mentioned this before, but I agree that we should try some top tens with only songs from certain decades eligible. Perhaps just a 1980-2007 top ten, which would still leave a huge number of songs to choose from, but would remove the 60s/70s domination.

I guess it isn't so bad that every single song in this list was by an artist who had already had multiple #1s. It just means we don't have to worry about those songs dominating in future lists. :)

I do agree with you in principle Elvy. I've often withdrawn/replaced a nomination after someone else nominates a song by an Artist I've already nominated.

It would be OK IF everyone went back and read all the previous nominations for that Ten ! Sounds easy, but we don't want to be sending more PTs to people asking them to replace ineligible nominations. (And I'm one of those since Top Ten #49).

Maybe we don't make it a 'rule', but just ask all who're reading this/have read the last few Posts to please try to avoid multiple Artist nominations in the same Ten.

Most of you know that my favorite drum beating Topic is that multiple Artist nominations split their votes. Top Ten #50 was a little different I suppose, because we were all trying to wheel out the Big Guns against 'Stairway'.

:)

How about a Top 10 where all votes for a song = 1 , rather than 10 for #1 , 9 for 2 , etc. That way the 'winner ' would be the song that is the most popular amongst most people , rather than benefitting from a few high rankings by only a few people ?

Alternatively , votes 1-5 could =2 , 6-10 = 1 ? Just a thought .

I also had a thought about the "every song/artist that made the top 10....after awhile these list with the songs, and then a list for the artist could get very, very, very long....I think the list that just mentions the artist, and then the songs after the artists name is easier to read.....instead of having separate list...just have the artist list in alphabetical order, with the songs after them....what do you think about that?

Edited by Guest