The Songfactors' Choice Golden Top Ten #50

Farin

How about a Top 10 where all votes for a song = 1 , rather than 10 for #1 , 9 for 2 , etc. That way the 'winner ' would be the song that is the most popular amongst most people , rather than benefitting from a few high rankings by only a few people ?

Alternatively , votes 1-5 could =2 , 6-10 = 1 ? Just a thought .

^ This is starting to sound like Fantasy Baseball... :P but I do like that idea.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Laurie and Kevin. :)

It's great that people are interested enough to make suggestions, but let's not try too many new things at once. We also have the "Ultimate Top Ten #2" coming up for Top Tens #26 - 50 very soon. Chris is the driving force behind that, ably assisted by Martin. It should be very interesting again !

Laurie, do you mean the 'Archives' or 'Every Song...' ???

That's OK Laurie. :)

I know they're getting longer, but I do think we need to maintain both lists.

We could easily reverse the order and put the alphabetical List of Artists first if you and others think that's easier to read ?

I went one better in Top Ten #49, where it was restricted to "Artists who hadn't made the Ten before" by actually listing the Artists in the very first Post of the thread, but at least 6 people including me didn't read it.

The old adage: K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid -(not that I'm suggesting anyone here is stupid) is always a good one to keep in mind.

When I used to lecture (I give a few here too, don't I) I worked on the principle that most people would remember only 10% TOPS of what I'd said, so I'd

Tell them what I was going to tell them

Tell Them

Tell them again in my Summary

Sorry if I sound cynical. ;)

And another old chestnut: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

All that is true , Darryl , but I think people are merely suggesting some possible ways to have a unique or different Top 10 or two occasionally , assuming that was what was on the table for discussion - not to change the usual style permanently or anything like that .

One defect in my suggestion might be way too many ties ( without enough points to seperate them ) and you'd have a tough or impossible job of ranking them .

Personally , the 'power' of those top 3 or 4 votes is misleading , imo . If I , alone , rank a song #1 , it gets 10 points . If three others , for example , rank a song 9, or 10 it ends up with around 4or 5 at best . However , in MY mind , the latter is more popular since 3 people liked it compared to my solo vote . Again , just ' talking ' here - not expecting any changes, etc . :)

Please don't think I'm being a killjoy and taking your suggestions lightly, Kevin and Laurie (+ Elvish for her ideas previous page). I really admire initiative.

Sometimes we just have to look at the practicalities.

Kevin, Martin and I DO use a system like that for 'tiebreakers'. If two songs finish on equal points (happens all the time) we place the one that MOST people voted for ahead of the other.

e.g.

4 people vote Song A as their Top song, 4 x 10 = 40.

5 people vote Song B as their #3 song, 5 x 8 = 40.

Song B gets preference.

Laurie, I just switched "Every Song..." to show Artist Order first.

Thanks to both of you !!!

:laughing:

I'd like to see a ' just under the radar ' Top 10 - maybe the 3 or four songs that didn't quite have enough to break the 10 ... eh ? :)

you know that's an interesting idea, in the moment we're pretty 'booked up' with the Ultimate Ten (which Chris does alone btw, he doesn't need my help :thumbsup: )

but keep that idea in mind for a few weeks after that - say after Top Ten #60 we could take every 11th place... that could get very interesting :)

Just along those lines Kevin and Farin, we had a Special Top Ten waaay back, with nominations (3 each) being taken from all songs that had received 0 to 9 Points up to the end of Top Ten #20. We had it between Top Tens #22 and #23.

The first two songs Daydream Believer/ The Monkees and A Well Respected Man/The Kinks became automatic nominations for our next regular Top Ten, #23.

Hard to believe that those 2 songs could have received less than 10 points total first time round ! Maybe we can look at more 'Specials' after the "Ultimate Top Ten #2".

:)

To recap.....

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

GOLDEN Top Ten #50 for the week ending 18th February 2007

1. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin (1971)

2. Boxer, The - Simon & Garfunkel (1969)

3. Fire - Jimi Hendrix (1967)

4. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (1979)

5. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - The Rolling Stones (1973)

6. Lola - The Kinks (1970)

7. I Am The Walrus - The Beatles (1967)

8. Going to California - Led Zeppelin (1969)

9. Brown Sugar - The Rolling Stones (1971)

10.Yesterday - The Beatles (1965)

Lucky will start Top Ten #51 very shortly !!!