The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #49

OLD 55

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know many songfactors won´t agree with me when I say The Clash were mostly a labeled punk rock band. They didn´t have a "punk" ideology and they knew how to make some more sophisticated rock (such as some songs in the "Sandinista" album). The Stranglers also used that label and had indeed punkish songs but they also could make more elaborated music. I wonder if there is a punk anthem that could get many votes.

I've just updated.....

EVERY SONG THAT'S MADE THE SONGFACTORS' CHOICE TOP TEN TO #49.

Maybe a browse through may give you some ideas for more great nominations for our GOLDENTop Ten #50. Thanks to all who participate faithfully each week !

It'd be great if some of the people who used to participate would join us to participate in this Special Occasion. I didn't think it would last this long.

:)

Well, I do think it's fair enough to describe The Clash as a punk band, and, by extension, to perceive quite a bit of their material as "punk", albeit the same material might also incorporate reggae (as it often did) , funk, hip-hop or whatever. I don't tend to think in terms of "punk-songs" as such, though I suppose there are examples of bands who are quite far removed from punk, but may have specific songs that could be described as "punk".

It depends alot on how broad or narrow ones view of the label "punk" is: if you think of punk purely as "angry/political, musically unaccomplished/limited to 3-chord thrash, lacking melody", then maybe "London Calling" isn't strictly "a punk song". Personally, having been into what I might call "punk" for many years, I probably take a much broader and more positive view of what can be described as "punk". Given that the word was first used to bring together under one umbrella the disparate likes of The Ramones, Patti Smith, Television, Iggy Pop, etc. before the word was co-opted to describe/categorise a bunch of bands in the UK, I feel it's unhelpful to consider its definition to refer only to bands falling within the limited template of "The Sex Pistols and bands imitating The Sex Pistols". In the UK alone, bands considered to be part of the "punk explosion"- and whose "punk credentials" are not in doubt- included The Slits, (a reggae band), Buzzcocks (a melodic pop band), , X-Ray Spex (melodic punk, with saxophones!!), Wire (angular art-punk), The Jam, (60s mod-rock), etc. as well as The Pistols and The Clash. Any historical document of UK punk will feature alot of The Clash: they were one of "The Big Two". Similarly, any history of The Clash will feature alot on their role at the forefront of the naissance of "punk" in the UK. So it would seem pointless (to me) to deny that they were a punk band, however one might feel about their subsequent (arguable) lack of integrity towards "the punk ethic" (whatever that is) or their development into an accomplished, versatile "rock band" appreciated on the global stage.

"London Calling" was the album which saw The Clash wriggling free of the straitjacket of "punk", such as it had become. But since my perception of what constitues "punk" is broad,and accepting of "difference" & development, rather than narrowly-defined, I don't have any qualms about perceiving The Clash as a punk band, and, if pushed, London Calling as a punk song.

People sometimes talk as if "punk" was somehow something apart from "rock", whereas it is actually quite possible to be simultaneously a great punk band and a great rock band. What it boils down to is that when it happened, there was all this "new broom sweeps clean"/Year Zero stuff about punk, and an overt disrespect for the rock establishment. With the benefit of hindsight, I would posit that what it really stood for was a rebirth of the essential spirit of rock'n'roll.

Edited by Guest
add an extra sentence by way of clarification.

I fully understand you point of view, BF. I´ve met so many bands from everywhere that I had to make a narrow definition for what "punk" is, and I´m not at all a connoisseur in this field, because it has never been my cup of tea. For me, anything more sophisticated than The Damned or The Ramones just isn´t "punk"... pure punk as it was in the late 70s. But I know you know more than me about that... ;)

Generally considered the first Rap 'song'. We just thought it was Techno and poor Flash couldn't sing. Not my cup of tea/coffee thanks Farin.

;)

Recapping our Top Ten....

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

Top Ten #49 for the week ending 11th February 2007

1. I'm Not In Love - 10cc (1975)

2. Do You Believe In Magic - The Lovin' Spoonful (1965)

3. Tribute - Tenacious D (2002)

4. Lido Shuffle - Boz Scaggs (1976)

5. You Oughta Know - Alanis Morissette (1995)

6. C'mon Everybody - Eddie Cochran (1959)

7. Since I Don't Have You - The Skyliners (1959)

8. Two Princes - Spin Doctors (1992)

9. Everlong - Foo Fighters (1997)

10.Alone Again Or - Love (1967)

NOW ON TO THE BIG ONE !!!