Words/phrases cool to say II

blind-fitter

It is merely an eccentric variant on the more usual "More tea, vicar?", politely intoned following the breaking of wind by another.

A more down to earth exclamation under similar circumstances might be "Your good health, ma'am*", or the somewhat vulgar, but nonetheless profoundly satisfying, "Good arse!"

* Alternatively: "Your good health, milady" in the voice of Parker from Thunderbirds

Svengali was a character in a Du Maurier novel, and the word has since been used to mean someone who tries to convince others to do things, usually with negative associations.

Phil Spector was considered a "Svengali" because of his controlling ways with artists.

Svengali was a character in a Du Maurier novel, and the word has since been used to mean someone who tries to convince others to do things, usually with negative associations.

I remember seeing a TV play adaptation of the novel. Svengali was an impresario in the drama profession, and didn't so much convince others to carry out his bidding as manipulate them by using some secret hypnotic powers. I recall that in the TV play he used this skill to "persuade" an actress to undress down to her scanties.

It's indelibly etched on my mind, as it was the first time I got the horn. :o

convince others to carry out his bidding as manipulate them by using some secret hypnotic powers.

Sounds like it's "Must See TV!!!" unlike that unfunny crap that they play nowadays on Prime Time Thursdays.

==============================================================

In an unidentified episode of Seinfeld, Elaine used the term SvenGali to describe someone, probably one of her nitwit boyfriends, due to the fact she couldn't keep a date for more than one week at a time.

==============================================================

Butros Butros Gali...not Norwegian either.

UncleJoe, perhaps your correct & the Viking Brotherhood of Legions will have me set to the flame & burnt at the stakes, for my naive assumptions.

If the Vikings don't do me harm, then Santa or Thor will. They're a mean cold-hearted people, & it's even colder in Norway.