Global Warming

Levis

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the contrary , by acting like kooks for 30+ years now , they did infact undermine their own movement . Kinda like the Red Brigade , etc ... The anti-globalization activists ( though not completely wrong ) are doing the same for their movement as well... Yeah make the average Joe think you're a radical ass hell bent on acting like jerks - good strategy !

Greenpeace does deserve credit for being a bit ahead of their time , though , but their methodology bordered on the lunatic fringe ( too many 'brownies' , perhaps ) . Had they any real smarts they'd have got a clever lawyer or spokesmen for themselves ....

I just saw a blurb for the 11 o'clock news where the weather guy says we're in for a warm weekend. FINALLY.

---------------------------------

I just checked out the weather for this weekend and we're supposed to be up to 78 on Sunday, and 80 on Monday. And today it was only 54. Crikey!

But... global warming doesn't exist. ;)

80 in february? Wow, where do you live? It's about 50 here today in Portland and I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

we're getting your weather tomorrow, Marc. :)

I rented "An Inconvenient Truth" and watched it this weekend. Excellent movie. I thought it explained global warming very well, so even idiots like me could understand it. But I know that if my brother-in-law watched it, he'd still say it's all a crock. He is the staunchest of Bush fans.

While almost all reputable scientists agree that the earth is warming at a worrisome rate, the only disagreement seems to be related to the degree to which human activity is responsible.

I believe that human activity has played a significant role in the recent, dramatic warming of the planet. And while I agree that we should be pressuring governments to invest heavily in alternative forms of energy (geothermal, wind, biofuels and solar) and to implement CO2 emission reduction strategies, I am amazed at the naivete of activists like Al Gore who think that measures like these are going to dramatically improve the situation in the short term.

We need to accept the fact that in the short term, global warming is going to have a dramatic effect on the world's climate. Some low lying areas of the world are going to end up underwater. Some areas of the world are going to experience drought and warmer summers and winters, while other areas will experience colder weather, flooding and more extreme weather events like hurricanes and tornadoes. While we should, of course, try to drastically reduce our CO2 emissions and our dependence on fossil fuels, we should be devoting just as much effort to devise ways to mitigate the worst effects of global warming. To do otherwise, is irresponsible.

To date, I've read very little about any useful strategies being developed to combat the worst effects of global warming. To its credit, the Australian government is considering the deployment of giant sunshades to slow or stop the bleaching of coral in the Great Barrier Reef. I have no idea whether this is practical or if it will be effective, but at least it shows someone is trying to find ways to deal with the problem.

Well said, CanAm. I watched a lot of "An Inconvenient Truth", but not the whole thing. I start feeling helpless, even though I know in this situation we're not. Living where I live, you need a car to do any chore. The kids cn't walk to school even if they wanted to...our roads are hilly and there are no sidewalks.

I think a good solution would be for more rural areas like ours to invest in public transportation more. Sure, it's more inconvenient to wait for a bus than to just go, but it also might be useful somedays. If I knew I had a guaranteed ride to work, I wouldn't need to rent a car whenever I dropped my car off at the garage. I'd save $$$ and the environment!

Four years ago at this time I recall shivering at 3 in the afternoon. Today it was thirty degrees celcius. That's summer to a lot of countries. Here it means an early spring. A very early spring.

I don't know how people can deny the very obvious existence of global warming. What do you think will make them realise that it's not very long till we evaporate/drown? And what do you think can be done to slow down the greenhouse effect?

everyone needs to plant a tree or two. i've planted so many that when they mature, long after i'm gone, this property will be considered a forest preserve.

seriously tho, trees are a great help to us all. and they are so beautiful.. :rockon:

Top ten reasons Global Warming is a positive subject:

10. Gives us something comforting to discuss around a glowing pot-bellied stove, as the squirrels stiffen outside.

9. Polarizes opinions; and Heaven knows, we need more of that!

8. Makes U.S. president Herbert Hoover's Depression-era policies, reflected in shuttered factories, seem brilliant and ahead of his time.

7. Makes OPEC rethink their old marketing strategy of "Just raise the price of crude."

6. Causes people to consider whether or not their actions affect other people … for once.

5. Forces Minnesota Tourism Board to consider a future marketing slogan, “10,000 lakes, you, your baggies and next January!â€

4. Introduces rich, new caustic material to the Oscar acceptance speeches.

3. Think of the savings in firewood!

2. Al Gore in Helsinki is better than Al Gore in Washington D.C.

1. Much easier to consider than that old “ Imminent Coming Of A New Ice Age†theory from the 70’s.