Best Concert You've Never Seen

Kevin

Woodstock was great to watch on TV...but I do not wish that I was there...I like my daily showers way too much! :P

Same for me, Laurie... even when I was a teenager and I was watching the movie in 1970, I felt it was amazing but I already knew I would miss my bed... ;)

I set off from home (Leeds) in the direction of Manchester, intending to see Sonic Youth at the Boardwalk. This must have been about 1989, when Sonic Youth were hitting their prime...

I had two members of Chumbawamba in the back seats: I didn't really know them, but they had heard I was going and cadged a lift.

About three miles from home, at the Elland Road junction onto the M62 motorway, my car packed in: the clutch had burnt out.

One thing I remember clearly was that the call-out mechanic, in explaining the nature of the problem, used the phrase "Can you smell that burning noise?". I thought this was just a simple (if rather amusing) slip of the tongue, but he repeated the phrase a few minutes later. I've retained it ever since, intending to use it as a song title.

I never did get to see Sonic Youth "live". :(

I would've liked to be there in 1913 when Igor Stravinsky unleashed "The Rites of Spring" on an unsuspecting audience, and incited a riot. To me, that's the beginning of rock and roll, even though it was an orchestral piece. Listen to the rhythm and structure, every progressive rock band ever owes everything to Igor Stravinsky, even if they don't realize it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I couldn't agree more. That would have been something to see. I just did a post on the Rite. I heard that Stravinsky left the hall in a rage when the riot broke out. I don't blame him. I'd agree with your association with rock music too.

Edited by Guest