Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laughing: :laughing:

Just a word of advice - avoid ALL the ' Oceans ' remakes , or any others for that matter . Let's try and tempt Hollywood into ... dare I say it ... write original scripts and put them on the screen . When an unoriginal movie is released ... try ... bowling or pinball instead !? ;) :thumbsup:

8/10 "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp" (1943). I'd missed this film last year, and finally recorded it when TCM ran it as part of their Guest Programmer series last month. A verry interesting tale starting during The Boer War, dodging shells during World War I, finally digging out of the rubble of blitzed London during World War II. Prime Minister Winston Churchill communicated his displeasure with this film to the producer and director. He objected to a long-gone world of gentlemen (when that term meant something) remaining friends even while wearing different uniforms. In spite of having to deal with the worst that Hitler could hurl at England, this film was popular among ordinary people. One suspects that even Gen. "War is all Hell" Sherman would have found this tale charming. :thumbsup:

Watched Surfs Up over the weekend and it is a funny movie. I rented it for my little girl and ended up enjoying them movie. Surfing penguins living at the beach! Some cool tunes, and good voices for the penguins...Jeff Bridges, James Woods, and Shia LaBeouf. It's for kids, but listen close and you will hear the adult humor thrown in every once in awhile. 7/10

A friend and I watched "Hot Fuzz" yesterday and laughed until it hurt.

Simon Pegg is absolutely brilliant as the gung ho, hyperactive and by the book London copper (Nicholas Angel) who finds himself reassigned to a seemingly quiet English town. Once there he is paired up with a witless, naive, junk food eating partner who is in awe of Angel's London exploits.

Angel is initially bemused by the intrusive nature of life in the small town and by the somewhat lax and cavalier attitude of the local constabulary towards prosecuting criminals.

Life, however, becomes considerably more interesting when Angel begins investigating a series of horrific "accidents" which he soon discovers occur with alarming regularity in the quiet rural backwater.

I won't give away any more of the plot, but suffice it to say there are some interesting and absurd plot twists that are truly hilarious.

While Pegg is undeniably the star of the movie, some of the supporting cast members are excellent as well. Timothy Dalton is suitably oily as the owner of a local Supermarket. Rory McCann is brilliant as the hulking, slow-witted grocery boy who has a two word vocabulary in the film (Yarp and Narp). And Pegg's frequent co-star Nick Frost is great as the pudgy, eager, impressionable sidekick PC Danny Butterman.

Although the course language and sometimes graphic violence make this film inappropriate for younger children, it is a quirky and often hilarious send-up of American police action films.

I give this movie a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Now I'll have to rent Shaun Of The Dead.

I coerced a male... someone... to take me to see "Enchanted" on Sunday. He warned me ahead of time that he doesn't do well in movies because he's not good at sitting still that long.

It was a really cute, well-done movie, I thought. I smiled all the way through it. But it's definitely a chick-flick. My poor put-upon... someone... stayed awake the entire time - bless his heart - because he knew it would not be a good impression on me if he snored :grin:

But afterwards he said, "I haven't been to a movie in ages, and of all the really good movies out there I could have gone to, you drag me to this one..."

I say 10 out of 10... but strictly for those of the female persuasion.