Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to see the new "Halloween" movie over the weekend. I went to see the original when I was a teen and it has always been my all time favorite "scary" movie. So I had to see the remake. It is VERY gory. The theater was full,with some parents with their kids. I am sure they were like me,reliving their teen years,but some took their kids and left. Today's gore is nothing like the gore of yesteryear I suppose. But I liked the movie,despite feeling like the movie maker went a little too far on the bloodbath. But if you like "scary" movies and remember going to films like this when you were younger,I think you will like it. Just be prepared for the gore and for pete sakes don't take the kids. Oh,it also has a pretty good soundtrack,including the creepy piano music from the original. :coolio:

• 2 weeks later...

"Jurassic Park III" 8/10.

Rooting around Jelly's this past weekend, I ran into a fellow from my Honolulu Orchid Society photographer days. He was looking at the DVD stacks, and I found out that his genre of choice was Martial Arts. (Jackie Chan, Jet Li, etc.) I pointed out other kinds of movies, then ran across "Jurassic Park III," which I'd never seen from the beginning. (Just how did "Dr. Alan Grant" wind up as a "Raptor Surprise" menu entree?) It's a escape & evade suspense flick, where one doubts if anyone will survive. (Too bad the original "JP" or "JP II" weren't as scary as the books, sigh.) I was wondering how the "invisible dinosaurs of "JP II" would be rendered. As with the original, these camo dinos were a no-show. :beatnik:

I just finished watching We Are Marshall. And for over two hours I was glued to the TV, taking in every moment of this movie. Laughing a little, shedding a lot of tears and just getting that feeling of a town that loved, grieved and loved again, healing along the way. The acting was good from Matthew McConaughey, Matthew Fox, David Strathairn, and Ian McShane as the main characters. You know going into the movie the tragedy of the Marshall football team, but to see the families, friends, and townspeople fight to keep football and the happiness and pain and grief that comes with the new team just pulls at your heart. This all happened in 1970 and Marshall has come a long way losing and winning over the years in football, and the townspeople take a moment to honor the ones they lost every year. It is not just a movie about the love of football, it's about how a town heals from a devastating loss. It's one of the most moving films I have seen in a long time. And Mathew Fox has great scenes with emotions that are moving beyond words. Even if you aren't a fan of football, rent this movie. It's about the human spirit and living life the best way possible after such a tragedy.

10/10

"Thank You For Smoking" 0/10

It's finally happened, a modern comedy that I didn't laugh at once! (PBS' "The War" was running the seek before I saw "Smoking," which may account for this non-reaction.) Then again, it may be the "Yes-men/women" managerial style of George W. Bush, aka the "My Way or The Highway" president. I find a government based on spin to be one step removed from...heck, why continue? According to the movie folk discussing the success of the film, students shouted down a dissenter with "Get over it! That's just the way it is today!" comments. As one of those "Saturday Night Live" characters used to say: "Never mind." :stars:

I dunno, but, this past weekend was an old movie quest, so-to-say. Well, they played a movie called "Freaks." I believe it was made in '33.

Anyway, this movie could never be made today because of the political correctness. However, if you've not seen FREAKS, see it.

It's awesome!

True twist...in the end, that is.

I give it a solid 9.

Watched Black Snake Moan over the weekend with Samuel L Jackson and Christina Ricci. Very interesting story of how they become friends. He is down on his luck after his wife leave him for another man, his brother, and she is a young wild chick who mainly has a problem with wanting to have sex with every guy around. He tries to save her and the story just gets more interesting from then on. You hear some great blues tunes sung by Samuel L Jackson in the movie and the feel of the whole movie is bluesy and sensual with some bible refrences in the mix. Being set in the deep south just adds to the pull of this movie. Both Samuel L Jackson and Christina Ricci give great performances. Justin Timerlake is in the movie but not long, thank God. Check it out.

7/10

I dunno, but, this past weekend was an old movie quest, so-to-say. Well, they played a movie called "Freaks." I believe it was made in '33.

Anyway, this movie could never be made today because of the political correctness. However, if you've not seen FREAKS, see it.

It's awesome!

True twist...in the end, that is.

I give it a solid 9.

"Gabba, gabba we accept you, we accept you, one of us"

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I saw "Heartbreak Kid" over the weekend. I am a Ben Stiller fan, and for that I loved it. There were some scenes that were so funny I almost spewed soda out my nose.

However, there is the issue of Ben Stiller's one-million-year-old dad, who played his one-million-year-old dad in the movie, and not only was he one-million years old, he was rank, vulgar, downright disgusting, and I hated every scene he was in. It was really truly gross to hear that man using the words he used in reference to what he'd like to do to a woman, etc.

Sad that nepotism is so alive and well in Hollywood.