Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

Only Lovers Left Alive (2014) 6/10

Adam, a centuries old vampire, lives as a recluse in a dilapidated Detroit tenement. He has known and influenced many of the great minds of history including Galileo, Copernicus, Byron, Shelley and Tesla. He subsists on blood he purchases from a crooked researcher at a local hospital and indulges his passion for music by collecting vintage instruments from a local music groupie who delivers them personally.

Eve, Adam's wife, lives much of the time in Tangier with her vampire friend, Christopher Marlowe, (yes, THE Christopher Marlowe). They obtain their uncontaminated blood from a local French doctor.

Eve, becoming increasingly worried about Adam's fragile mental and emotional state, flies to Detroit and discovers his intention to commit suicide. She talks him out of it, and the two begin to rekindle their romance. Everything goes well until the arrival of Eve's undisciplined younger sister, who throws their ordered, reclusive existence into chaos when she feeds on and kills someone in Adam's apartment.

Forced to leave Detroit, Adam and Eve return to Tangier where more heartbreak and trouble awaits.

Although the acting is superb, particularly by Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston and John Hurt, the plot is plodding and ponderous. At the end, one is left asking "Is that all there is?".

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"This Is Where I Leave You"

AWESOME cast. Truly unbelievable there's that much talent in this movie (the Jane Fonda thing aside, of course - her role was funny, if not a bit creepy).

About a family of 4 siblings and their mother, their spouses and kids who get together over the loss of their father and, since his last wish was that they "sit shiva" for him, they have to stay under the same roof for a week, and hilarity ensues.

Fortunately, though, a lot of other stuff ensues, as well. Not that I don't like hilarity - and there was lots of it, hell, Jeff even laughed out loud. I always that as a sign that a movie has some real comic moments - but there has to be some levity in a movie that happens because a guy dies.

Relationships are complicated in this clan. And each actor plays his/her character to perfection. Lies, cheats, heartbreak, love, finding yourself again, it's all there. Just done in maybe a different way than I've ever seen. And I personally love anything that Jason Bateman is in (although his real-life sister is a skanky 'ho), and this one's got Tina Fey, too, among others.

Lots of unexpected twists here, keeps you on your toes, for sure. (Especially the Jane Fonda creepiness thing - and it's nothing to do with the boobs, either.) I guess I shouldn't use the word "creepiness," because it'll earn me hate mail. It's not so much creepy, just... unexpected and kind of weird to have the story line take that sort of a curve. Plus, it's Jane Fonda, so it's creepy.

Some of the siblings' story lines end up okay for them, some of them not so much. But there's a point to this flick, and a message to YOU in it. Go see it. Unless you hate comedy. Then, well, I don't want to know you, anyway, so I don't care if you go see it.

8/10

Uuugh...Sold Out...will have to go another time during the week I guess. We ended up going out for a margarita and some skillet queso at Chili's. So I was set on seeing a movie so checked out HBO on demand when we got home. Watched "Fallen" with Denzel Washington, John Goodman, James Gandolfini, Donald Sutherland...Loved it! I don't know why I've never seen this one, since I love Denzel's movies...Had lots of twist and turns, and kind of a freaky movie for Denzel, but he played the part well. He plays a detective who witnesses the execution of a serial killer on death row. The movie does get a little confusing at times but it all comes together at the end of the movie. An ending with a twist, which I love. I give it 8/10

Edge Of Tomorrow (2014) 3/10

I know this movie received fairly good reviews, but I hated it.

The plot was contrived, convoluted and ridiculous. Emily Blunt, Bill Paxton and Brendan Gleeson gave good performances, but Tom Cruise was his usual wooden self.

I really wish Hollywood would more frequently turn to science fiction writers when creating scripts for sci-fi movies. Most of what passes for science fiction in movies these days, is pure drek. The movies try to substitute special effects for intelligent plots.

I guess I should have learned by now to assiduously avoid any movies starring Tom Cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Expendables 3 6/10

An unintentionally funny film that continues the adventures of Barney Ross (Sylvester Stallone) and his band of geriatric mercenaries as they take on another bad guy at the behest of the CIA. This time the villain is played by Mel Gibson, who gives a very convincing performance. The part of the CIA handler is played this time by Harrison Ford. New additions to the team in this installment are Wesley Snipes and Antonio Banderas. Banderas steals the show as the loquacious and hyper-active Galgo, an out of work mercenary who begs Barney to include him in his attempt to bring down Gibson's character, Conrad Stonestreet. The rest of the original team are back including a grunting and scowling Dolph Lundgren, Jet Li and his fractured English, the monosyllabic and monotone Randy Couture and the young pup of the group, Jason Statham. The hulking Terry Crews plays only a peripheral role in this movie.

If you are looking for an ingenious plot or stellar acting, this is not the movie for you. However Mel Gibson, Antonio Banderas and Harrison Ford give performances that raise this movie above the mundane.

Perhaps, Shawna , but here the movie is marketed as an Action/Adventure flick. I guess Stallone and company haven't heard about the concept of growing old gracefully. Between the roids and the cosmetic surgery, Stallone looks as brittle as a statue made out of chocolate. I just hope that there are no more installments in this series. Leave the on screen heroics to actors who can actually handle the physical demands of the job.

"Horrible Bosses 2"

HYSTERICAL! The first one was funny, this one takes it further and is even more funny. My kid and I laughed all the way through it. Who knew Jennifer Aniston could get that raunchy? I love sick, sick, sick humor. If you don't, then DON'T go see this. If you do, you're in for a treat.

:grin:

7/10 (just because it's not movie-of-the-year, there are no Oscar-worthy performances, it's just good, sick fun.)

• 1 month later...

The Imitation Game 9/10

This is one of the best movies I've seen in the last 10 years. The movie deals with the group of mathematicians and cryptographers working at Bletchley House to break the Nazi's Enigma Code during WWII. Benedict Cumberbatch plays the head of the group, Alan Turing, who was a brilliant mathematician but socially awkward and a homosexual when homosexuality was a crime in Britain. Cumberbatch's performance is sublime and the rest of the cast, including Keira Knightly, also give bravura performances.

I think this movie deserves to win many Academy Awards. This is moviemaking at its finest.

Night At The Museum, Secret of the Tomb

I haven't seen the 2nd one, but if didn't matter. This one was easy to follow if you have even a little knowledge of the first. It was funny, warm and fun. My daughter loved it 7.5/10

Into the Woods

Based on the Sondheim musical about fairytale characters whose lives intertwine in the woods. Great singing and some funny scenes. Who knew Chris Pine and Emily Blunt had pipes? 8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Left Behind 2/10

Gagh!! A truly awful film starring Nicholas Cage. The plot (what there is of it) moves along at a glacial pace. I think this screenplay and the book on which it is based must have been written by some religious zealot with a dearth of imagination.

Avoid this movie like the plague!

Was able to watch a few movies, since I had a few days off...

Captain Phillips 9/10...loved it!...I'm not a real big fan of Tom Hanks, but I do like a few of his movies...this one kept me on the edge of my seat, that's for sure...

American Hustle 8/10..loved it! ....The plot got kind of confusing for me, but that didn't matter because the great cast and acting in this movie was well worth watching...Good soundtrack also...

The Other Woman 6/10...Funny, laughed out loud a few times, but the ending got really corny, but it is a comedy after all...

August Osage County 9/10....Loved it!..Not a big Meryl Streep fan, but she played the part of a pill poppin mean old woman well...This movie had a wonderful cast of actors also...Julia Roberts also was very good in this movie... a must see.

Rob The Mob 7/10...Not one of the better known movies, at least I've never heard about it. I came across it while channel surfing, I love mob movies so I checked it out. It's based on a true story about a young couple robbing from mobsters...sort of a Bonnie and Clyde type of story. It kept my interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Paddington 7.5/10

This is a very sweet movie that is excellent for children but has enough chuckles in it to make it quite entertaining for adults too.

The movie combines live-action and animation. The acting is quite good and the first half of the movie is quite faithful to the book on which the movie is based. If you have younger children, I highly recommend this movie.

The Fault In Our Stars 8/10

A predictable, yet surprisingly entertaining movie. The acting is first rate and it is an accurate portrayal of the devastating effects cancer wreaks on the lives of the victims and their famiies. It also shows the tremendous power of the human spirit to persevere and shine in the face of tremendous adversity.

A real tearjerker. Highly recommended.

Edited by Guest