Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking forward to "A Million Ways to Die in the West" like I haven't looked forward to a movie in a long time! That's one I'd be (almost) willing to stand in line for.

But I probably won't get to see it until it's been out for a while. :crazy: The work life is insanely busy with deadlines, always.

Safe House 6.5/10

A reasonably entertaining thriller starring Denzell Washington and Canada's own Ryan Reynolds. Somewhat predictable story line but the movie has enough action to make it worth the 1 hour and 54 minutes. The ending is completely implausible which results in the 6.5 rating. Not worth renting, but I watched it on Netflix so I don't feel too bad.

Dracula 2000 6/10

The movie features a good cast (Gerard Butler, Christopher Plummer, Jonny Lee Miller, Jeri Ryan and Omar Epps), but I'm afraid that Gerard Butler just isn't convincing or particularly menacing as Draculya. The story does add an interesting twist to the Dracula story , but this is really a mediocre movie.

Godzilla 4/10....Some classics should not be redone, and this is one of them IMHO. This was a 2 hour movie and the first hour and a half was so long and drawn out...the last 15 minutes was somewhat entertaining with some very good special effects, but that's about it...But my residents did enjoy it, which makes me happy.

Going to go see A Million Ways To Die In The West next..That looks good....hoping I won't be disappointed again...

We're planning to go see Million Ways next week during the week, since that's when most everybody else will be at work and voila! no crowds. :grin: I'm so looking forward to seeing that flick, I heart me some Seth McFarlane. He is deliciously sick and twisted, and (not so) oddly, that draws me like a mosquito to stagnant water. Or a tasty human.

Salt 2/10

This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Angelina Jolie gives one of her typically wooden performances and the plot(and I use the word here in the loosest possible sense) is ridiculous. The only reason I stuck it out until the end was to see if it could get any better. Sadly, I was disappointed. Liv Schrieber was the only one in the movie who could actually act. Thank goodness I watched it on Netflix, so it didn't cost me anything other than 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

X-Men: Days Of Future Past 8.5/10

If you like movies about comic book characters, you'll love this one. The plot is very interesting and involves time travel in an unusual way. The acting is uniformly excellent. Even though he doesn't have a lot of screen time, Ian McKellan makes the most of it. He is sympathetic and menacing at the same time and it is hard to take your eyes off him even though he shares the screen with other very good actors.

The special effects are excellent but they don't overwhelm the story as they do in some of the other superhero movies.

This is a movie where character development and story are more important than the special effects.

This was well worth the time and money I invested. However, I am somewhat biased in that I am something of a comic book nut.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw X-Men last night. I'm not really into superhero movies, but hubby treated, so.... Anyway, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, very entertaining and even if you're not into the whole saga, it wasn't hard to follow. I'll give it an 8/10.

Sharknado 1/10

This movie is so bad, it's almost funny. The premise is preposterous, the acting is dreadful and the special effects look as if they were created by a group of high school students. My son and I howled with laughter several times during this atrocity.

How movies like this ever get made is a mystery. Perhaps it is to provide an income for b and c list actors and directors.

Lone Survivor 8.5/10

A riveting, yet thoroughly depressing account of a failed 2005 American mission in Afghanistan. Based on a true story by the lone survivor, the movie depicts in graphic detail the ambush of 4 Navy Seals by brutal Taliban fighters.

The acting is top-notch and although the movie is depressing because of its accurate depiction of the savagery, hatred and fanaticism of Islamic extremists, it is

also uplifting because it shows the tremendous courage and kindness of the Afghan villagers who saved the life of Marcus Luttrell by protecting him from the Taliban at the risk of their own lives.

This is one of the best war movies I have seen in a long while. I highly recommend it.

Sharknado 1/10

This movie is so bad, it's almost funny. The premise is preposterous, the acting is dreadful and the special effects look as if they were created by a group of high school students. My son and I howled with laughter several times during this atrocity.

How movies like this ever get made is a mystery. Perhaps it is to provide an income for b and c list actors and directors.

I saw that! :thumbsdown:

• 3 weeks later...

Non-stop 8/10

This movie was much better than I expected. It contained quite a few interesting plot twists and Liam Neeson was very good as an air marshall trying to control his personal demons while dealing with a very difficult in-flight terror plot. The only weak point was a somewhat contrived and implausible ending.

The Traveler (2010), 6/10

It stars Val Kilmer. It's about a mysterious man who walks into a police station and confesses to murder, but thing is, the murders haven't even taken place yet! Dun dun, dunnn!!!

I watched it on Netflix this evening because I was bored. It has gotten terrible reviews everywhere, so I had put off watching it for a while. I found it to be decent and fairly entertaining. Not a classic by any means. It's quite violent in some parts, so if you get queasy easy (and are underage), I'd recommend that you stay away from it!

:bow: All hail Netflix! :bow:

Netflix must be better in Ireland than it is in Canada. The only reason I keep it is because of the tv series that are available like Dexter and Orange Is The New Black and Sherlock. The movie selection is dreadful. We have about 1/10th of the selection available to US viewers. :thumbsdown:

• 1 month later...

Netflix must be better in Ireland than it is in Canada. The only reason I keep it is because of the tv series that are available like Dexter and Orange Is The New Black and Sherlock. The movie selection is dreadful. We have about 1/10th of the selection available to US viewers. :thumbsdown:

I'd be surprised if that was the case! I have some friends in Ireland who have the American Netflix, I don't really understand how they get that!

---

The Rover (2014), 10/10

I saw this film last night in a nearly empty screening (there was a couple in it too). I was looking at cinema screening times online a few days ago when I stumbled across this film, and it caught my attention. I have a fondness for films set in dystopian futures. It came out of nowhere and arrived to no fanfare.

In a nutshell, it's set 10 years after a global economic collapse, and it's about a man in the Australian outback (played by Guy Pearce) who sees his car get stolen and travels across the land to get it back.

Pearce is very convincing with his acting as usual, and gives a very intense performance. Robert Pattison (of Twilight fame) gives a very good performance too. The rest of the cast play their parts well. The score is beautiful.

The film moves along at a slow pace, which leaves time for character development and your mind to process the things that happen in it. It's a very intense film, and I'm still thinking about it the next day.

If you enjoyed The Road (2009), then I think you might enjoy this one too.

Margin Call (2011) 8.5/10

A scathing indictment of the greed and myopia that led to the global financial crisis in 2008. In the film, a junior employee in risk management discovers that the company's business and indeed, much of the financial world's business is based on a flawed model. Desperate to avoid financial ruin, the company's senior management decides to divest itself of all its high risk equities (tied to subprime mortgages) before any of its competitors figure out what is going on.

An all-star cast featuring Kevin Spacey, Paul Bettany, Zachary Quinto and Jeremy Irons is outstanding. Jeremy Irons is particularly good as the company CEO whose arrogance and sense of entitlement prevent him from recognizing his culpability in the destruction of so many peoples' financial futures.

Highly recommended.

Lucy

Starring Scarlett Johansen as a woman who unwillingly becomes a drug mule. When the bag of drugs inside her breaks, she starts to use more of her brain's capacity until she reaches 100%. You have to put logic aside and just enjoy how she kicks ass across the world. 7/10

Guardians of The Galaxy

A bunch of criminals and mercenaries meet on their way to prison and become a team to save the galaxy from a genocidal maniac. Fun, funny, and an adventure that's very tongue in cheek. My 10 year old who is not into superheroes, liked it a lot 8.5/10