Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saving Mr. Banks

Extremely well acted movie. Although the story was somewhat embellished, it did not diminish the movie's entertainment value. Emma Thompson was brilliant and the rest of the cast (especially Tom Hanks, Colin Farrell and Paul Giamatti) were also very, very good. This is the sort of movie that Hollywood doesn't make enough of anymore.

8.5/10

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Thor: The Dark World 8/10

As super heroe movies go, this is one of the best that I've seen. Chris Hemsworth conveys just the right combination of earnestness, impulsiveness and machismo to make

Thor more than just a caricature. Tom Hiddleston as Loki is suitably oily and venomous. All in all, it was well worth the 4 dollar admission fee.

American Hustle 9/10

This is the second Academy Award nominated film that I've seen and as good as Gravity was, this movie is better IMO.

The acting in this movie is superb. Christian Bale may be an arrogant jerk in real life, but he is a marvelous actor. He practically steals the show and that is saying something considering the other great performances. Jennifer Lawrence continues to impress me. She seems to improve with every film. She has less screen time than many of the other actors but she makes the most of it. She seems to steal every scene she's in.

Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner (sporting an Elvis doo) all give compelling performances.

I don't know much about Abscam so I don't know how closely the script resembles the actual events of the time. Regardless, I heartily recommend this film.

Wolf Of Wall Street (9.5 / 10)

Quite possibly my favorite movie of the 2010's, it's a typical Scorsese masterpiece and DiCaprio is brilliant and versatile in his character portrayal as usual. Narrated in Goodfellas fashion and performed a bit like The Departed. Though the movie was a bit long clocking in at 3 hours, containing bits and pieces of filler not pertinent to the script. Highly recommended to anyone who is a fan of Martin Scorsese's films, generally speaking.

Also saw American Hustle and Captain Phillips. I would give both of them an 8. Very interesting true story plots and well-acted by the cast.

we saw "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" last night. It caused me to laugh so hard in one scene I was crying.

Well acted for a Ben Stiller/Kristen Wiig film, although I like them both anyway, I didn't expect such subtle performances. It worked very well. Heavy message in this flick. You need to watch it, sit back, enjoy it, and then leave thinking about what you learned. :)

8/10

• 1 month later...

Dallas Buyers Club 8.5/10

Extremely well acted. My God, Matthew McConachey is practically unrecognizable. He must have lost at least 40 pounds for this movie. The movie is a searing indictment of the collusion that occurred between the FDA and the big pharmaceutical companies to keep efficacious AIDS medications out of the hands of those who needed them most.

Even Jennifer Garner is watchable in this movie. Mind you, her role isn't particularly demanding. Jared Leto's performance is stellar and I believe he deserved his Oscar for best supporting actor.

We've been so overworked lately and tired as all getout. So I made Jeff do Mandatory Movie Night with me on Wednesday with one of my Netflix DVDs. I got it with him in mind, since it's all about a hockey player-turned-figure skater (yes, you read right). An oldie called "The Cutting Edge."

Cheesy chick-flick, which I warned him about. But the dialogue is so sharp that he laughed all the way through and liked it so much he watched it again on Thursday night.

About a horribly spoiled world renown figure skater who's such a b*tch she can't keep partners, and an Olympic hockey player who gets injured during the final game of the Olympics, so he can't play hockey anymore. They are thrown together to compete in pairs figure skating at the Nationals and the rest is just plain fun.

Not terrific acting, predictable plot, but thoroughly enjoyable storyline with, as I said, sharp dialogue (mostly at each other, as these characters find they're meant for each other) :laughing: And the perfect Hollywood ending.

I'll give it a 7/10 for plain enjoyment and great lines. :grin:

"A Family Thing" 8.5/10

This little gem starring Robert Duvall and James Earl Jones was released back in 1996 with little fanfare. Duvall plays a southern redneck who discovers after his mother dies that she is not his birth mother. He also learns that he has a black half-brother (played by Jones) living in Chicago.

He subsequently sets off to Chicago to learn about his roots.

Initially, there is no love lost between the two curmudgeonly half-brothers who are as different as chalk and cheese. However, as the men spend more time together, they develop a grudging respect and affection for one another and learn a few lessons about tolerance along the way.

A very touching movie with exceptional performances from all cast members.

Took my daughter to see "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" on Monday. It was better than I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be all pop-cultured up. It was, a bit, but I think they still kept the spirit of the old cartoon nicely. 7/10

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched 20 Feet From Stardom on Netflix. It's a great documentary about famous back up singers. It won the 2014 Academy Award for best

documentary. Great story and fantastic archival footage. Definitely recommend it.

Captain America The Winter Soldier 8/10

My teenage daughter and I saw this movie on the weekend. A very good follow-up to the first Captain America film. Chris Evans is perfectly cast as the noble, conflicted uber patriot hero. Until the somewhat implausible and muddled climactic battle, the special effects enhance rather than hinder the story. From my daughter's perspective, the fact that Chris Evans is a nice bit of eye candy was just icing on the cake.

• 3 weeks later...

88 minutes

This movie, starring Al Pacino, is a moderately interesting thriller. There are some surprising plot twists, but overall it is somewhat predictable and formulaic. Pacino gives a surprisingly understated performance and I must admit it was a pleasure seeing him portray a character who is not a cop or a mobster.

Not a bad way to spend an hour and a half.

6.5/10

saw "The Other Woman" a few days ago. Dragged Jeff to it, but he actually laughed a few times.

It's a story about a woman whose husband is having an affair, so she confronts the other woman and they become friends. Then they both find he's cheating on them with yet a third. And then the three of them become friends and find out he's cheating with a 4th... and about what they do to him to get back at him.

I like all the actors in it, Leslie Mann, Cameron Diaz, and guy who plays Jamie Lannister in GoT. It's a fun little kick and a way to get your mind (and body) out of the heat of the summer.

I'll only give it 5/10, though, because although it's beyond cute, the acting isn't the best, and the plot is predictable.

• 2 weeks later...

Godzilla 7/10

An entertaining popcorn flick. I thought the director did a commendable job in remaining relatively faithful to the original Toho films while updating the story for a modern audience. Good escapist fare that doesn't tax one's brain cells.